Wack'em and Stack'em

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, May 5, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What is the largest number of catfish that anyone on this website has ever slaughtered for a fish fry?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never killed a catfish in 30 years of fishing, never will.

3. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmmm...that sounds like a BAITED question.I would have to say only the maximum possession limit allowed by law.:008:

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    For a single fish fry, around 50. I have done over 100 at a time while stocking the freezer for the year. All of the fish I keep are under 20lb, most in the 2-10lb range. anything over 20lb that gets released. Once I get the freezer stocked for the year everything is released.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think someone is trolling & I don't mean for Walleyes. :roll_eyes:

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Well he asked, I answered so I guess we'll see.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when i was a teenager i helped kill and clean a bunch of channels and blues a neighbor caught at a pay-lake, think there was around 35-40 channels and 5 or 6 big blues. we had one heck of a neighborhood fish fry, someone had too much alcohol and ended up starting a big fight later that night. :sad2:

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!!

Sweet :)

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I sense a little controversy.

10. Gone Fishing

Gone Fishing New Member

State:
    Florida
    Since I've never had a big fish fry, I have to say 0. Besides, I don't want to clean all those fish!!!!LOL

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Three.

That was a couple of weeks ago for my mom. I ran the numbers last night for another thread and this year I have released 98.9% of the fish I have caught.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    One time between my dad and I we kept 29 Small Channel cats and Blue cats from 3-5 pounds. Man, it was definitely a job to clean that many fish, we usually don't keep anything over 20lbs eithier.

Zakk

13. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    one good cat over five pounds will provide several meals for just two here plus my gf is not the fish cleanin type so usually one every coupla months!

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I nomally keep all the eater size unless the freezer is full and put back anything 20 pounds or over.

15. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i really don't think you want me to answer this truthfully. some folks might take it personal. i'll stick with crispy critters answer and say the maximum possession limit.

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The most I ever kept was 4 and they weren't all that big. I release most of the fish I catch.

17. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    CPR. Catch, Prepare, Rejoice. Catch what you can eat, eat what you catch. I hear a huge discussion come up here.

18. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    No its cool i have slaughterd over 50 for my uncles when they have their annual fish fry.

19. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Amen Bother,

I too keep most of what I catch (under 10 lbs, though). My family eats catfish at least once a month, sometimes more often, especially when fresh-caught. I don't get to fish as much as I used to but it's at least twice a month during the spring, summer, and fall. I catch and keep enough to eat now and through the winter. Supplements the deer meat and a few squirrels and rabbits. Cuts down on the grocery bill.

I do understand some of the brothers here do not have safe waters (talking about pollution) to harvest fish from and shy away from eating anything caught. I keep an eye out for fish advisories and would adhere to any posted for my waters. Right now, and best I know never, are there any warnings for where I fish and I'm in my 40th year of eating Tennessee River cats.

Also know that some brothers may fish in waters not as plentifull as where I fish and take it upon themselves to enjoy the sport but aid the conservation effort and release most fish to fight (and more importantly, spawn) again. I commend them for their efforts. Here in north Alabama, catfish are plentiful and I doubt that our keeping 50 fish a year puts a dent in the population.

All that said, for those who've never kept and cleaned and eaten their catch, if the water quality and situation allow it, give it a try - at least once. It's a gratifying experience to feed a family on the fruits of your efforts and enjoyment. Here in the south, man that's what we do - catch and eat cats.

Oh yeah, for an answer to the original question, the most I've caught, kept and cleaned was around 25. Once, however, we took at least 30 fish from a couple who were about to pour them out of their ice chest because they didn't want them (they were "too tired" to clean them). Most were near dead and I doubt they would have lived. I didn't need that many (had a dozen myself that day) but can't stand to see our resources wasted like that.

Good topic, in my opinion.

20. westkyhntr

westkyhntr New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here in KY any catfish is considered a rough fish and the is no limit
    in one night some friends and I cleaned about 75 or so most in the 3 to 10 #
    range about half went in the freezer and we had one heck of feed the next
    night .