waccamaw river

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by MuDD_Cat23, May 21, 2008.

1. MuDD_Cat23

MuDD_Cat23 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    does anyone fish the waccamaw river here on the S.C N.C state line if so whats the best methods and is there all species of cat fish in there

2. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    I know it is considered cheating, but my friend he lives on the river near Conway and he uses live panfish on limblines and has alot of success cheating this way. He lives near highway 90 where the water is very shallow. I have went with him once and saw that he ties lines in river bends 2 inches below the surface. My pontoon boat is too big to get up to where he lives so I can't really fish it my way. Again, I feel limblining is cheating and I would always rather pull one in by rod and enjoy the fight as much as the picture. CPR of course on anything over 50...

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <CPR of course on anything over 50...>

LOL! I guess you keep a LOT of fish, eh?
    BB in SC

4. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Not really. Been a bad few years.
    lol

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Per SCDNR regulations:
    So at least your friend probably isn't breaking any laws. :big_smile:

6. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Thanks again Tommy for always providing solid information. Helps to have someone from DNR here to help others stay legal for our state's fishing sakes. I have in the past read up on all the fishing rules. One question I have is: are those yo-yos that Basspro sells legal or illegal? I would never fish this way but I was asked this question a while back and I couldn't answer it.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have fished the waccamaw at the winyah bay and from conway to around Lees Landing off of Hwy 90 and never have caught any big fish except down near the bay. Around conway I have caught a ton of nice blues and channels but never a flathead but I have seen alot of photos of some nice faltties out of there.

8. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    He brags about some flats caught but nothing more than 20lbers. Blues are what he says are most caught. He also frog gigs in spring for frog leg frys and he says that he will bait the frogs minus the hind legs on a few lines and catch blues this way. I have never heard of this but I'll take his word for it.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You're welcome, Jonathon; always glad to help if I can, but I don't like to provide info unless I'm pretty certain of accuracy
    As far as I know, the yo-yos would be legal for use as a setline. I used some myself years ago and they actually worked very well. I think I still have some out in the shop someplace.
    I don't have a particular problem with limblines or trotlines, as long as they are fished legally; it's the ones that are illegal that I really have a problem with, and that includes all of those that are left unattended.:angry: