Wabash River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Don Wessling, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I met up with with an old friend who retired from the boat shop where I work, and he took me out on the Wabash River near Grayville, Il. We put in under the I64 bridge and fished up and down the river from there. We fished for Channel cats using Sonny's stink bait. The fishing was a bit slow,but we caught a dozen keepers and several small ones. We also tried chicken livers, but they wouldn't touch it. He also showed me his rig and techniqe for catching Flatheads on the Ohio, I know it works, because he keeps a log book of every Flathead, (time/date, weight and pictures of the big ones). I would like to try that someday. Thanks Bud, had a great time.

2. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds like a great trip

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how do you get down there to put a boat in? i have wanted to fish that area for years but i dont even know were to put a boat in?

4. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    It is a pretty good area, my family owns the property on the westside of the river for a ways there. fishing is better a few miles north of there though.:cool2:

5. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Adam, Take the Grayville Exit , That takes you to HWY 1 turn left at HWY 1,go to the first road to your right,Then go to the first road to your right , that will take you to the boat ramp under I-64 bridge. It is on your left side of the road.

BIGCAT GarryEads

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thanks garry! everytime i drive across there and look down at that river i drool over all those shallow flats with the deep water around them that you can see from the bridge!! has to be some big ole flatheads around there!!!

7. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I'v been on jury duty for a couple of week's .I may try fishing at Darwin if the river would come up a couple foot .we caught some nice one's the first week of AUG............30 pound's being the biggest.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like some good fishing, congrats.

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    thank's that was about the last chance I got to go before I had to do jury duty..caught our's on gold fish.

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Was that the little wabash or the wabashand i assume it a flathead?

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    flathead....we went up above Darwin about 6 miles....it's so low now I don't think i could get up there...

12. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Too bad:confused2:! Good to see you on here again and finally have some free time to fish:big_smile: |GOOD LUCK & GOOD FISHING BUD!

13. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    thank's....may try here at home in the ambraw river tonight if it don't rain...

14. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Anyone fishing the Wabash around Grayville should watch out for old oil rig pipes in the water. Over the years , the river has cut into the banks and swollowed oil rigs, but the steel pipes are still there, some of them can be 50 or more feet froom shore. The tell-tale sign is a plastic pipe sticking out of the bank. I saw one pipe sticking out of the water only about 2 inches, (steel pipe about 10 inches in diameter). In that same area there were pleasure boats running full throttle, not smart.