Wabash River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by beaneye46, Jan 25, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    does anyone fish the wabash, and does anyone eat the fish out of there?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Cody,
    I don't eat fish from the Wabash but judging from the the number of hoop nets I have seen someone must. I don't know for a fact but I have been told that a lot of the catfish sold in diners and restaurants in rural Indiana comes from the Wabash...W

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i have ate some of the fish out of there, but my buddy gave me a slab off a 63# which makes me a little nervous. but ive caught saugers out of the wabash, and theyre pretty tempermental to water conditions i think.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think this was a DNR news release about the Tv program:

The Wabash: Life on the Bright White River
    Sunday, January 29 at 9 pm on WFYI in Indianapolis

It was bright white limestone, shining up through clear water, that inspired Native Americans to name their sacred river “Waa-paah-siki” or the “Bright White.” French fur traders shortened the name to “Ouabache,” and the early settlers changed it again, to the name we know today: “Wabash.”

The Wabash is Indiana’s river. Its story of beauty and inspiration, of exploration and discovery, is the story of how we became who we are, both as a state…and as a nation.

That spirit of exploration and discovery lives on in “The Wabash: Life on the Bright White River,” a 500 mile, 19 county adventure, from the Ohio border to the Ohio River, to examine the delicate balance that exists between the people who live on the banks of the Wabash, and the Wabash River itself.

These people have stories to tell, and this locally-produced documentary has recorded them. It joins them at work and at play, and at prayer. Their stories give voice to the joys of calling the Wabash “home,” and bear witness to its sudden, devastating fury that can, and does, sweep their lives away.

Through stunning photography – on land, on river, and in the air – The Wabash: Life on the Bright White River captures the Wabash’s power and beauty. And although it is not be the same crystal clear Wabash it was in centuries past, it’s still a jewel of rich bio-diversity, one that people are working hard to protect.

Production of The Wabash: Life on the Bright White River made possible by The Wabash River Heritage Corridor Commission, The Wabash Valley Association, The Nature Conservancy, The Rivers Institute at Hanover College, The Hoosier Environmental Council and Hoosier Energy.

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you cant see the limestone anymore:sad:

6. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I Live In The Lafayette Area And Have All My Life. In My 36 Years I Have Watched The Wabash Go Through A Lot Of Changes, And Lately For The Better. When I Was Younger You Could Eat Anything You Wanted Out Of It. When I Was 18 You Couldn't Eat Anything Out Of It. But Since Then There Has Been Alot Of Changes To Help Clean It Up, And I'm Happy That You Can Now Eat At Least Some Of The Fish, And With Continued Effort It Will Only Get Better. Remember One Thing. Take Home More Trash Than You Brought. If Everyone Would Do That This Would Be A Much Nicer World To Live In..

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Flathead! Welcome to the BOC. This is a great place. Enjoy your stay!

8. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Baitfish--- Try The Wildcat I'm Sure That You Have Fished It Before, But There Is Great Opportunity There For A Variety Of Fish. It Is Probably One Of The States Best Kept Secrets For Smallmouth, And Catfish. I've Caught Several Bass Over Four Pounds And 2 That Were Over Five, And Thats Big For This Small Creek. The Channels That I Caught Last Year In There Were Absolutley Huge For This Size Of A Creek. Caught Nine In Two Hours None Smaller Than Two Pounds With The Biggest At Ten. Also Caught A 25lb Flathead With My Neighbor Catching Three Flats Smallest 10 Biggest 17. It Was An Absolutely Awesome Night. For The Best Fishing You Really Need A Canoe. Put In At Wildcat Park, And Float To Peters Mill Bridge. You Find Plenty Of Holes There, And You Won't Be Disappointed. Only Downside Is You Can't Eat Them, But Thats Why They Have All Gotten So Big. Try It This Summer Or Spring Let Me Know How You Do. Fishgeek, Thanks For The Welcome This Is A Great Site!!

9. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Baitfish---To Get To Wildcat Park Go North On Creasy Lane Untill It Curves To The East Follow It To The Bridge. That Is Petersmill Bridge And There Is Public Access On The North Side. To Get To Wildcat Park Go Over The Bridge And Turn Right. Follow That Rd About 3 Or 4 Miles Wildcat Park Is On The Right It Too Has Public Access. Some Great Water There, Give It A Try This Spring. Good Luck!!!

10. tm509

tm509 New Member

State:
    central IL
    I live on the IL. side of the Wabash. Lots of people around here use nets and then sell the fish. I have only ate smaller fish, the bigger fish we always take a pic and release.

11. IndianaBanana

IndianaBanana New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have fished the Wabash, White & Eel all my life. < My dad was an Admiral in the River Rat Navy > . The fishing here is as good as anyplace I've ever been. I'm not a lunker hunter, just enjoy the outdoors and a mess of fish now & then. If you eat fish from any of Indiana's rivers, do it in moderation. With larger fish, trim the fatty areas completely and follow the consumption guidelines.

" God doesn't count the days against a man that he spends fishing "

12. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was suprised to see how many people live by lafayette. i live about 10 miles down stream. i know for sure the channel cats are ok to eat. havent tried anything else. just make sure the wife cooks it good!