Wabash River??

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by fishassasin, Oct 15, 2007.

1. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Anyone fish the Wabash near New Harmony? I was wondering if it is a good catfishing area? Was wanting to try it out but i would like to get some info together before i go.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Never fished a river.. sorry Bro. No help from me.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Dave,

I have had excellent for flatheads on the wabash. In northern IN the river is shallow for long stretches. Even a ten foot hole can produce some jumbos. The river is deeper and wider in the southern portion of the state. I would take a day and scout the river with your boat and mark locations of holes, especially holes with logjams and debris. If you do not have a boat try to ask bait stores and locals. Don't forget to cast some baits in the shallow areas adjacent to deeper holes. I hope this helps. It always takes awhile to learn a new stretch of river, but I do know there are some nice flatheads in the bash.

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    thanks ... great info... but there is a spot where an old dam used to be ...waterfall and stuff ...would a water fall produce or scare away big cats

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dave,
    The area from Hutsonville Power Plant south to Vincennes has some whoper flatheads. Not uncommon for the fellows who troutline it to bring in fish in 60# plus range. I've caught lots of decent channels south of Hutsonville.

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    The waterfall will not scare off the cats. In fact it may have scoured a hole, and in turn, may be an excellent spot. I believe there are blue cats in that stretch as well. They love the fast current.

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    A guy at my work said he catches alot of channels in that area ... but no flats or blues. so he says .... i dont have aboat ... but he said u could wade by the old damn(where the waterfall is) ive never been there but what he says ...it sounds like it would be a great spot.