Wabash River yesterday morning

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by CatfishHateMe, Aug 5, 2007.

1. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Went out yesterday morning, about 5:30. Tried the area by the fairbanks boatramp downstream about 200 yards. Me and my dad had out 4 poles 3 with large shiners and 1 with a gob of crawlers. had 3 dencent hits, the fish would hit hard then run, then the line would slack, then the fish would just nibble for a few minutes, then it would stop. this happened 3 times. then we went up stream to a place weve been to a few times and i cought a medium sized toad and slit his belly and threw him out. again, the same thing happened twice. i didnt want to try for a hook set with just the little nibbles after the first run but there wasnt any other chances to set the hook so we came home empty. there were alot of boats out there with nothin at all, we even talked to a few guys at the boatramp and they said the last 3 times theyve went they havnt got anything. the rivers really really low right now and its almost like bath water. but anyone know what those hits coulda been? from what i hear the hit then run sounds like flatheads but im not sure about the nibbles.

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    sounds like small perch or gar, and turtles. thats how they usually hit around the wabash. i know what ya mean about bath water i went out from covington and caught some nice perch in my spots but the flats are on the bed now till night when the water temp drops from 120 degrees to 90 degrees at night lol....maybe it will be better soon:tounge_out:

3. fairviewkid

fairviewkid New Member

State:
    Brazil Indiana
    WE have been fishing in some of the same spots as you have been with some fantastic luck. Really catching some nice Blues in deeeeeeppp holes. My daughters and I have caught 13 fish in the last week with the biggest at 41 pounds and the smalllest at 8:10.`

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was more than likely gar, they seem to be pretty thick in the wabash. They will take ahold and slowly swim away, when they feel pressure they will stop and it looks like you are getting nibbles.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    At least ya got out, better luck next time.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    would one of the deep holes your referring to be the one under the old tressel? last time i was out on a boat i remember it being at like 80-100 feet deep in some of the places we fished. thats one of my fav spots to go. cought my pb channel out of there at 12 pounds.

7. fairviewkid

fairviewkid New Member

State:
    Brazil Indiana
    No we have been going south of I70 bridge. Hard to get there right now but good fishing on the corner. The trussel hole is 54 foot right now but gets tremendous pressure so I don't mess with it.

8. fairviewkid

fairviewkid New Member

State:
    Brazil Indiana
    Are you relation to al hamlin that worked as a counselor.

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im related to an Al Hamblen yes, check the spelling and it could be the same one yes.

10. fairviewkid

fairviewkid New Member

State:
    Brazil Indiana
    I worked with hm at the prison till he retired.