Wabash river water levels

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by psychomekanik, Aug 17, 2009.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys, I fish the wabash from covington to clinton. I was wandering after yesterdays rains if the water level came back up a little. It's been really low lately and I can't get to my spot. If it came back up even a foot or so I can get to it. I like fishing a stretch from the lodi ramp to the newport power plant. Just south of the lodi/cayuga ramp was just a few inches deep. I can't get my boat through. I want to go tonight, depending on the water levels. Has the water came back up at all???

2. rdwolf03

rdwolf03 New Member

State:
    indiana
    wabash still going down in lafayette need alot more rain to make it come up

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark,

Go to the link below & click the gaging station nearest your fishing spot. Then go back to a day that you were able to boat to it and make note of the flow (cfs, cubic feet/second) and river stage (feet) as a reference point. Bookmark the gage website and then watch it...when flows/stage are similar to your reference, you'll know you can boat to your hole...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/in/nwis/current/?type=flow

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    It rained this morning up here near Wabash pretty hard for over an hour...and we had rain north of us last night as well. It might take a few days to get to you but hopefully we've had enough to raise the river a bit for you.

5. Elpy54

Elpy54 New Member

State:
    IN
    Can still see the sandbar north of the montezuma bridge so I's say its still going down.

6. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have 5 days of rain coming in my area, so the wabash should come back up by the end of the week, and we should be hitting big flats once again!

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mark,

The river came up 2.5 feet today in Wabash. You might be getting out sooner than you thought!

8. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dang 2.5 feet!?!? I haven't noticed a change down here in peru yet? But that is a very good sign. Not to much longer!

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, it jumped fast!!! I left to get bait at 4:30 (flow was ~250cfs) and when I got to the at 6:30pm flow was 1200 cfs! My spot was unfishable from shore....but the >1/2 mile hike in with all my crap & a bucket of 30 gills made it real hard to think about walking back out & trying another spot.

Looks like you should have been out early this morning. From midnight until now the river in Peru jumped from ~2 ft to 3.5 ft.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?03327500

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    man that river takes a lot to come up! we got a pile of rain all over the north.

11. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    just checked the river level in lafayette , sunday it was at 1.5 ft , now its at 3.ft , they predict it to go to 5ft on thusday and be below 3ft by sat. the window to get on the rivers going to be very short unless we get some more rain .

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The white is just as bad in some places.. good thing I have that shallow water drive..

13. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    1.66' as of 6:00pm today, predicted to hit 4.7' sometime friday night, WooHoo!!! Water! :smile2:

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hopefully it gives me some water on the White come sunday... i would like to get the boat out again

15. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sure enough, its up maybe a foot! But it looks like it has went down about 4 inches today, so I'm heading out now to give it a try.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    my river was at just under 3ft on the 17th. by 6 am the 18th it was a bit over 12! thats the result of draining 3 million(if i remember rite) of acres of farm land. lol go getum guys while she is on the rise!!!!!!!