Wabash River @ Terre Haute, 08/08/09

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Wabash River Bear, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had plans to hit the Wabash Saturday, but my normal partner called off on me yet again. :confused2: This has happened about 2 weeks in a row, and I decided that I was goin regardless. I got to the Fairbanks Park ramp thinkin fishin alone sux. I decided to give Jason Hamblin aka catfishhateme a call to see if he wanted to go, knowing he was limited to bank fishing. I have never fished with Jason, only met him once on the river, but talked with him a few times on the boards. He got there by the time I had the rig in the water, pretty good at a minutes notice.
    We headed up river to the train tressel hole. A very large hole about 40' deep, nearly full river wide and about a hundred yards long. Waters on either end of the hole range from 4' to 15', so its a pretty significant hold for fish. The wind and current were not in our favor, current was basically non existant and the wind was rippin up river, the water level was down about 2 feet from normal. We fished a few areas in the hole from about 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm with only one hit and boated fish. Jason boated the 10 lb 10 oz blue about a half hour after we anchored in. That blue was makin slime by the bucket loads, my net was litterally coated, more than I have ever seen before. I dont quite know why, I figure maybe it's stress related due to lack of current and rain fresh oxygenated water.
    Although the bite was off, we did get to see some entertainment. A couple was fishing nearby, the female fisherwoman was wearing the latest in string bikini fashion and paraded all over the dudes 16' Tracker. :big_smile:
    Then we saw some guy motor up river with so much camping gear on the bow that he couldnt see the water in front of him. He grounded it pretty hard on some submerged rocks and smacked his lower unit a good one. He tilted his outboard up out of the water while it was running to check his prop, for about a minute and a half. :crazy: We later seen him heading back down river after dropping off his crew at their camping spot, the outboard was makin steam and he seemed oblivious to what he had done. :eek:oooh:
    A little later we saw another boat come up the same side of the river, heading toward the same area that the guy grounded up. I looked at Jason saying "This guy surely aint gonna do what I think he's gonna do, is he?" Surely enough, thump, scrape, screech. Another one bites the dust! :smile2: Amatures with more money than sense. From where we were anchored we could clearly see there was something there even though it was submerged.
    To top off the day, curiosity got the better of the dude in the Tracker with the bikini chick, seeing "catfish1.com" down the side of my boat, so he pulls up to ask us about the mighty BOC. We visited with them for several minutes filling them in on what goes on here. It was worth every minute of it. :roll_eyes: Hey Paul! See what we have to endure for the betterment of the brotherhood! :wink:
    Jason, it was good to have you aboard. Maybe next time the bite will be on and the entertainment level will be as good as it was Saturday. We will definately do it again.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice post barry. Kinda went thru a day of up's an down's. No fish but Bikinis an wrecks, wow what a day on the water!

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    sounds like an interesting adventure barry! thanks for sharing!

4. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    barry saids like a great fishing trip even tho no fish caught to bad the people with outboards :smile2::smile2::smile2: but like you say had money burning thro their pockets :cool2::cool2::cool2: you wonder if there be schools on how to boat on rivers :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i will expect pictures by the end of the day.... :wink: not of the fish seen one you seen them all:cool2::smile2:

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry dude, no pics, no evidence, no explanations, no problems. :wink:

7. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Hey Barry..that was me and my buddy Andy that were the second "amateurs" to hit the submerged pilings....lol I have only fished that area once before and the water was way higher and you didnt have to worry about grounding on anything. I was wondering who that was in the "catfish1.com" boat. Didnt want to disturb you guys cause you looked all set up...but if you ever need someone to fish with give me a holler. We ended up with one blue that went 28lbs and a bunch of gar. caught the blue close to where you guys were, but in about 3 ft of water on the edge of that hole. Wished I would have stopped and said hi now. Hope wee didnt look like total morons...lol Here is a pic of the 28 I caught:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/Scootercatfish/P8090121.jpg

See ya dude...good fishin!

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There you go.. Another fishing story!!!! A Tall tale with no happily ever after photos of half naked women...

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Yeah, definately a different day on the water. Full of not so common sightings. But at least we boated one good blue. And had some good sights to look at. And some nice entertaining idiots. Cant wait till ya call me again man. Well see whats in store for next time. Haha