Wabash river Shad.

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by fcrnnngbck25, Feb 16, 2008.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Just wondering if anyone has some tips to get some shad on the Wabash. Preferrably around the Covington, Attica area. Usually where I fish. We caught some last year when we got a cast net but was wondering good areas on the river to target to get some. Thanks :smile2:

2. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    If you go south a bit past Lodi, there are a ton of shad around the warm water discharge at the power plant. I have also caught some around bridge pilings as well. Occasionally you will get an asian carp in your net too and those are excellent cut bait. You might also try near the spillways of Norway and Oakdale dams on the Tippie. Hope this helps.

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Yeah I forgot about the warm water discharge. I'll have the boat this year so I can get down there easier. Thanks alot thou that gives me something to plan towards. Starting earlier than usual. To bad the waters up or i'd start now :-D. I hear the asians are good bait but never tried it so if i snag one i'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

4. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Indycatguy i was just wondering because ive fished all over indiana for my whole life for big cats with shad skippy and blue gills. Ive always had pretty good luck witht these baits witch many others do also. But ive had those asian carps jump in my boat a time or two but ive never thought to use them as bait. Does this really work well? Have you caught biggins using this. So on so fourth was just wondering about these strange creatures.

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

I was wondering that too. I figure its worth a try. Hopefully this year I can finally break the 20 lb fish mark x.x

6. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    The biggest cat that Ive had in my boat was 54.5lbs from the Wabash....and it came from a chunk of Asian carp. They bleed like a stuck pig and are very oily. That is everything you want in a good cut bait. The problem with using them is that they are SO big and that you have to do a lot of cutting. Prepare to spray your boat out when you are done....lol

7. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

I'll do all the cutting as long as it works :-D. Thanks for the heads up on them. Oily and bloody are two things we like in cut bait so it seems they would fit perfectly.

8. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kewl thanks indycatguy i will deffinitly have to give it a try and about that cleaning the boat thing theres still guts in it from last years. lol Have a good one man and hope to see you on the water.

9. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I live south of Covington a little ways and we just go out to ditches or fields that have been flooded into from the river and there are usually more than you will ever need in little puddles left behind. We just take out a throw net and will have all the bait we need in a couple throws. You will have to weed out the bait fish from the gar and other fish you probably wouldnt want to use. There should be plenty of spots like this since the river has been up for a while.