Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent the day on the river with my father in law. We caught several channel cats largest one was 8 1/2 pounds. We also got a few drums and one big red horse sucker. I also got a shovelnose sturgeon. We fished for above 5 hours and got soaked in the rain but had a great time
28BA4EDA-E96C-4C84-98BC-1A16A2AA4034.jpeg
77E90B3D-9DFA-462C-8F5A-227476BCB1AD.jpeg

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,441 Posts
Oh man that sturgeon is cool, I would love to catch one just to be able to look at it in person! What did you catch him with? Those red horse suckers are neat looking fish too, did you get a picture of that one as well?

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sturgeon was caught on night crawler Carolina rigged and laying on the bottom. I caught a couple last spring and this is the first of this year. I think they come here to spawn then leave again. Here is a pic of the sucker

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn’t get to fish today because I have to work tonight but my father in law did go back out to this same stretch of the river this morning. He caught a couple small channels a smallmouth just over 14 inches, and 5 more shovel nose sturgeon between 22 and 28 inches. So the sturgeon bite is on. My next day off is Wednesday hopefully they are still biting

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We fished about 7 hours today 2 in the rain. The bite was slow but we managed to get 5 sturgeon, a red horse sucker, a couple eater sized channel cats and a bunch of drums. Fished next to an eagle nest and watched turn birds for a while. The eaglets are getting big and will be flying away soon I would imagine. I didn’t take many pictures because my phone was in my pocket under rain gear most of the day.
I plan to go back tomorrow with my father in law’s boat since the river is up enough that we can use his boat it’s larger and more comfortable but we can’t launch there unless the water is just right. When it’s low it’s too shallow and when it’s high it’s too fast.

Friday I hope to run my brother up to the eagle nest and get some good pictures of the birds. His hobby is photography mine is fishing so I think it will be fun to get together and get some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went back on Thursday the bite was real slow but we got a few channels to but on liver. We wife caught the biggest of the day 6 1/2 pounds

I had to work yesterday so my father in law went alone and caught 16 sturgeon and one drum all on night crawler. Just my luck lol I’m heading to work I’m heading into work in a few hours. He is fishing again with his wife today. In the first 30 minutes they have caught 3 sturgeon so far. The bite is still on.

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On Sunday my father in law caught a tagged sturgeon. I called the tag in this morning and thought I would share the information. The fish was tagged in 2018 near Lafayette at Wabash river mile 315. It was 25.98 inches at the time. It was recaptured outside outside Peru Indiana near river mile 368 and measured approximately 27 1/2 ( we don’t measure to the 1000th). So it traveled over 50 miles and grew only an inch and a half in three years.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good info on the 3 years of the sturgeon's life. We catch a ton of them down here on the lower White and most are about that same size. My wife caught 5 within a 10-15 minute span last year, it was a little nuts I was looking for hook injuries to rule out it being the same one lol. They love nightcrawlers.

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took the big boat today had a full boat today my father in law, mother in law, wife and the twins. We got about a dozen shovelnose in the boat and had a few more that got off. Also lots of drum and a big 10 1/2 pound carp. We didn’t find any catfish today. I spent most of my time running the landing net and fixing broken lines but it was still a great day on the water

Attachments

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bet that carp was a fun fight.
Do the sturgeon put up a good fight?
The carp gave her zabco 33 a real workout. She got it to the boat and it turned around and peeled line off the drag three or four times before I got it in the landing net

The sturgeon are not a heavy fish. A two foot fish weighs less than two pounds but they fight well above their weight class. They like to jump out of the water on the way in. Sometimes while they are jumping they get the line wrapped around their tail and you have to drag them in tail first then you really have your hands full. They are a lot of fun to catch.

·
Registered
Tyler from Indiana
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wife asked me to take her dad fishing for a few hours after yesterday’s graduation ceremony wile her and her mom prepared the food for today’s party. I think we left skid marks leaving the driveway before she found something else for us to do.
Just a quick trip a lot of stolen bait. But we did manage to get 10 shovelnose 2 red horse sucker, 1 channel cat, and 4 drums to the boat. No time to clean fish so everything went back. Pretty good bonus fishing day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts