Wabash River @ Lafayette

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bnorth, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gaging station at Lafayette puts the river at 4.54ft and 4,560cfs. Anyone take a temperature reading lately?

Channels are most surely biting now. Anyone been out to have any luck?

2. coyotee1

coyotee1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I fished the river saturday and caught 1 channel 6lbs fished for 4 hours had 1 more bite.... pretty slow goin i fished some deeper holes and never hooked up ,,, had the bite and the hook up in a log jam...good luck water temp 56-59

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I appreciate the info- I've been pretty busy at work so I haven't had much opportunity to get out yet. Hopefully sometime this week though.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ben the channels are on for sure! get some danny kings punch bait and go getum bro. im finding them in oxbows and shallow flats on inside bnds. also caught some white bass at oakdale 2 weeks ago.

5. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i havent really had any success fishing the deep holes. log jams and other forms of river obstruction have always been the hotspots. during the daylight hours. during the night, try to focus on the flats between a couple of deep holes. at this time, you want to use the biggest baits you can get your hands on. sucker, gill, cut carp, ect... this is when you will primarily find the monsters. but dont be suprised if you sit out all night on the flat. big fish are few and far between and they absolutly have to eat. fish on the darkest nights (new moon) and be QUIET. the best fish ususally come right before sun up

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I finally had a day off yesterday. A buddy and I decided to give a spot we have on Wildcat Creek a shot. Took some wading to get to our destination, which is a sandbar on a sharp bend in the creek above a riffle. It's pretty stacked up with downed trees and large rocks.

Caught this 14.5 pound Flattie on some cut sucker, another 10.5 pound channel that we pulled in on a line that I had gotten hung up earlier and had to break off. My buddy snagged the loose line while checking his bait, so I pulled it in hoping to get my hook and leader back, ends up the channel must have picked it off the log it was hung on and was still swimming around in the hole. Lucky me. Other than that we caught a few other small channels (less than 2 pounds). All this between 11am and 3pm. Overall good day.

Attached Files:

7. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Nice Flattie. I grew up on that river when it was smallmouth and channel heaven. Used to skip school and float it in the late 70's early 80's. Bring's back memories!

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't worry rairdog there's still plenty of nice smallmouth in there. Weather gets a little bit warmer and I will most definitely have the float tube and the waders out.