Wabash River @ Lafayette

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bnorth, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone having any luck on the Wabash in the Lafayette area recently? I'm hoping to get out there sometime this week and get a line wet, I've recently discovered a spot to catch lots of bullheads and bluegill with relative ease, so bait isn't a problem, just gotta find the big kitties.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sorry bud,i havent been over there for a while. good luck though!

3. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have had no luck at all this year. We where talking on the boat and do you think the asia carp have anything to do with the bad fishing?? Do they eat minnows??

4. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Here is some info on the asiatic carp and the problem they pose to our fisheries:

The two species of Asian carp that are posing this threat are the silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molotrix) and bighead carp (H. nobilis), natives of southeast Asia that were introduced into Arkansas aquaculture farms for algae control in the 1970s. Floods, levee breeches, and perhaps intentional release allowed them to escape into the Mississippi River system. They are now found as far north as Minnesota, and south to Louisiana, altering ecosystems and sometimes wiping out fisheries along the way.

One adult Asian carp can eat 40 pounds of zooplankton and phytoplankton a day. Multiply that by millions of carp (each female can produce 2 million eggs), and you have an situation that quickly and dramatically undermines the base of the food chain. It's not hard to imagine the disastrous consequences to the vast array of invertebrates, fish, and other aquatic organisms that rely on this plankton for survival. And this impact will eventually be realized farther up the food chain, when the gulls, terns, grebes, loons, and other birds that feed on small fish find their food sources depleted.

5. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I haven't fished the wabash, but a couple of weeks ago before the high waters I was killing the channels in the Tippecanoe river in Carroll county. The water was perfect speed for floating a bobber while wading. I caught well over one hundred fish in a weeks time doing this using chicken livers, shrimp, and worms. I know that your targeting flatheads or big channels with your bait selection, but might give this a try! Only fishing in about three feet of water, so depth doesn't matter just try to keep your bait about 8-12 inches off the bottom. Also, just a note! I live on the Tippy and my neighbor caught an 8lb blue cat the other day. Nice to see them moving up this far!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I ended up fishing at Davis Ferry this past Thursday night, seeing as I had to be at work the next morning I only stayed out until midnight, with no luck. I had a couple of nice runs early on, but both fish headed straight into the timber I was fishing next to. I tried to move the bait out away from the cover to give me a chance to wrestle them away from it but then I wouldn't get anymore bites. Either way, it was a nice night...no one else on the bank, had it all to myself...maybe I'll head out there again this week.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I cant help ya out about the Wabash, however i think the bite has been slow overall about everywhere. Ive had some good days, but definately more bad ones this year.

8. RIVER3782

RIVER3782 New Member

State:
    Terre Haute Indana
    :0a23:DOWN HERE IN TERRE HAUTE IN

9. RIVER3782

RIVER3782 New Member

State:
    Terre Haute Indana