Wabash River in Huntington 5/21

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Fishgeek, May 22, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got out on the river tonight but didnt' fair so well. I had lots of runs but couldn't hook-up with any flatties. I did get one 4.5 lb CCF on cut BLG.

I think my BLG were a little bit big. I was trying to catch smaller gills (4-5 in) but could only catch nice plump hand-sized gills! I can't believe I'm complaining about it but when I want nice eatin' sized gills I catch little ones and when I want little ones I get big gills.

Regardless, it was a great night to be on the river! :big_smile:

2. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Great to hear you got out Matt,:wink: it's so nice up there I love it! We plan on making another trip up there tommorow night, and we have a sweet place to catch plenty of nice 4-5 in. gills like you were talking about!!!!

3. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Sorry to hear about your luck fishgeek. Like Doug said we have a pretty sweet spot that we always manage to pull some out of. We have caught some channels in the 20 lb range in this area but only a few in the last few years. We do catch a lot in the 5-10lb range and many eater size as well. Like we said before seems like the flathead fishing is a bust there. Only a handful of blues caught there as well. The blues were up to about 15lb but most well under 10. Channel cats are the game there. If flatheads and blues are you desire I would try farther down the wabash on the other side of the damn. I have fished this stretch for many years and have never caught a flat except in the spill way. It was a baby flatty. Next time try using smaller whole gills or just take the big ones and use them as cut bait. The bluegill head has been producing for us. You might also try creek chubs and small suckers whole and as cutbait. We have traditionally had better luck with the cut bait. We do have good luck with shad when we can get them but seems to be more of a fall pattern. Hope this helps. Good luck next time.:wink:

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    The CCF I did catch was on a BLG head. Yeah, I knew I needed smaller BLG but I had already spent about 2hrs fishing for them & didn't want to burn anymore of my night trying to catch smaller bait. And of course, I took my boys (6 & 3 yrs old) out to the same spot tonight to catch gills...and what did we catch...yep, perfect flathead bait!

There are FHC up near Huntington. I haven't seen any big ones but some up to 15 pounds captured just downstream of the city.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    glad to hear your getting out Matt!

been having the same nibbler problem here lately. i have been using 3-4 very small chunks on my hook, instead of the standard 1/3gill piece. it seams to help on the hookups drastically.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'll give that a try Tim. I bet some big Kahl hooks would work real well with those 3-4 smaller chunks.

I'm heading out again Tuesday or Wednesday. Hopefully I'll hook-up some FHCs