Wabash river, Huntington May 23,2009

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, May 24, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well me and bigcatfish64 made another adventure saturday night. All I can say is what did you do fishgeek when you were there? We only caught 1 small channel and a few small hits. Fishgeek must have caught them all and didnt leave us any. Thanks. Just kidding Fishgeek. Not sure what happened other than the heat. Seems like after the first couple of weeks in May up there the fish really die off. once that water gets hot and almost stagnet like you might as well stay home and watch tv or talk on the BOC. It gets real hard to fish them flood controll reserviors in the summer. Huntington is a very shallow body of water even through the reservior, mostly 15-20 feet in the deep spots. Unless you set up on the damn area then you can get a little deeper at normal pool level. Although we didnt catch many fish we did manage to catch a 3ft snake with a small drum in its mouth with the cast net. We did take a few picks of the snake but with our cell phones. That was the first time I caught a snake in the cast net.

2. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Yeah! But you gotta admit if it was'nt for the bugs, it was a sweeeeeeet night!!! I think I ingested about a gallon bucket full of gnats!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana

4. run-catfish-run

run-catfish-run New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Where do you like to catfish around huntington. And did you happen to make it west of town when the walleye where biting it was like bluegill fishing never seen anything like it 22walleye 3 guys 5 hrs. And none kept

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    you guys mite want to stick close to ol geekster. im sure he has some secret spots from when he was with the DNR! LOL

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shoot Tim, secret spots? In the six years I was with the DNR we never made it to the Wabash. They sampled it last summer but didn't pick up too many cats. Mostly because the areas they electrofished weren't prime catfish habitats. You typically need to travel a little farther on the river than those guys do in order to find good catfish habitat.

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    We have a good spot in the river but is mainly a spring type pattern for us. Once the water warms up the bite is off. Doesnt matter what time of day you fish. I think the fish migrate from the reservior to the river and then back toward the reservior in the warmer months. Once the water gets stagnet and hot you might as well go back home. There is never realy any currernt there unless we have a heavy rain and the water is on the rise. If the water is dropping there then the bite is off. I have fished that place too many times over the years and hasnt really changed. Never caught any flatheads there and only a few blues. A lot of channels, some nice ones in the twenty pound range. Most up to around 10 lbs. There is also a lot of bullheads there. If the bull heads are bitting you should go home if you are using nightcrawlers. I have never caught a bullhead at the salamonie but tons of them at huntington. Not sure why that is but anyway hope this helps anyone that fishes there.