Wabash River Fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by rks1949, Jun 16, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm new here,also kinda new to cat fishing! I live in Lawrenceville (10 miles West of Vincennes,In.) and try to fish the Wabash river for cats. So far I've had some luck(not alot) using Sonny's dip bait,and night crawlers. I need to find some good spots to fish off the bank,at the Wabash,any help(advice) would be greatly appreciated. Ron

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Ron!:big_smile: I don't get out that way much, so I won't be of much help to you. I know there are a couple of members here that can help you out. As far as bait is concerned, I almost always use fresh shad as my first choice. It seems to always outfish anything else that I try. GOOD LUCK, and again welcome!:wink::0a25:

3. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you use a net to get your shad? I got a casting net,but I'm not too good with it.:sad2: I have seen prepared shad at the local retailers,is it any good? Thanks,Ron

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC Ron!
    I fish the Wabash a few miles up from you. I mainly fish north of Darwin, but sometimes go down to Hutsonville. Up in this part of the river the cats really like cut bait. I usually use drum, carp, bluegill, or assn carp. Shad guts and secret 7 seem to work well also. Fresh shad works really well if you can get them. The shad you buy in the store, in my opinion are about worthless. They have no scent and I have never caught anything using them.

5. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The shad you can buy at places like wal-mart IMO is junk and needs thrown in the trash can. If you have a bait shop close you could buy some minnows. In most cases they work good for catfish too. The best way to get shad is to use that cast net you have. You just need to go out and pratice with it to get better. Hope this helps you out.:cool2:

6. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh and buy the way welcome to the BOC

7. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ron, I am from Lawrenceville too! We have caught a few fish from Vincennes, but have had better luck at Hutsonville area. We use bluegills and cut their tales off and cut shad to catch nice blues. So far this year the river has been high when I could fish so July will be better I hope! Frog Legs

8. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Learn to throw that cast net and you probably won't have to buy bait again. It's very hard to explain how to use without pictures or video, because it depends on the size of the net, etc.. A good video that shows how to throw a large one is the In-Fisherman catfish video-Big Cat Safari. It's worth picking up! Just remember to start small and work your way up. I throw an 8 footer(shhh!) and it took me a while to get the hang of it, but it pays dividends when you want to catch a lot of bait very fast. I really don't use much else for bait except fresh shad. It'll outfish most anything on any day for channels and blues. By-the- way, there are some impressive flatheads swimming in the wabash that you might want to try for. I've seen quite a few 25-40 lbers caught both on sets and rod and reel by my buddy. Plus, sometimes gills' can be easy to catch this time of year. GOOD LUCK BUDDY!

9. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks,all for the info! I appreciate it. I'm thinking about getting on the river,this comming 4th. Hope the river falls a little. As far as getting shad,I think my local lake might have some in it,after the big flood last year,I donno,for sure? Ron

10. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul, I got a lucky break today. A friend came by (a old river fisherman) and we got to talking about throwing casting nets. To make a long story short, he had me tossing it perfectly in 5 minutes:big_smile:! It sure is allot easier to learn 'first hand", than reading,and watching video's! Ron

11. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone going out on the Wabash,for the 4th? I'm going to try to put in at St.Francisville,and run up the river fishi'n and just drifting around,till it's time for the fireworks,at Vincennes. Ron

12. RiverMedic

RiverMedic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish way south of you, below Hwy. 141, east of New Haven, welcome to the boc and to the world of the wabash, a very good river to fish! Shad are alright and can catch you fish of any size, but my preference is Blue gill almost big enough to eat, I prefer the larger fish 10- 15lbs. and up, I'll be getting 4 days off soon and be hitting the river 17th to the 20th, Will be using gills hooked thru the eyes on a 8/0 hook and hope to have great results and pic's to post when I get back! Good luck to you

13. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Made it out on the river today,caught mostly channels in the 2-3lb. range,but still had a good time. Put a little "river rash" on the new stainless prop,crossing a gravel bar,so it's broken in now:roll_eyes:! Ron

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009