Wabash River Catfish Study

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyCatGuy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    FYI:

DNR river biologists are in the third year of a four-year study to determine the population status of blue, channel and flathead catfish in the Wabash River.
    So far, about 2,000 catfish have been sampled to provide information on growth, age, movement, and survival. Prelminary results indicate that at 10 years of age, blue catfish average 27 inches, channel catfish average 19 inches and flathead catfish average 28 inches in length. The oldest fish observed was a 31-year-old flathead catfish that measured 42 inches and weighed 34 pounds. Wabash River catfish generally remain within one mile of the location they were caught and released. However, a blue catfish tagged and released in 2005 moved 27 miles downstream, where it was recaptured in 2007. Anglers have recaptured about 5 percent of the catfish tagged by biologists. If anglers catch a catfish with a green tag near the dorsal fin, they are asked to send the tag in for a reward to the Big Rivers Fisheries Program, Sugar Ridge FWA, 2310 E. SR 364, Winslow, IN 47598. The reward is a camouflage baseball cap that says "Wabash River Fisheries Research."

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for the info now if they would just do a study on what these gill nets are doing to the fish it might be better off

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info! I havent caught a tagged cat yet, but now I'll have something to look forward to.

4. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A 31 year old flathead weighed 34# is just another reason to put the big ones back. Rusty

5. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Thats just more reason to release anything over 10 lbs. I usually release anything over 5 lbs. Although it's hard to resist a couple 10 to 15 lb flatties a year. I also ask that anyone I take fishing do the same. It's also more reason to fight those gill netters. JMO. My buddie and his wife caught over 80 channels between 2 and 5 lbs last Sat (all released except 2). So I know Wabash river is doing well. They were gorging on fathead carp minnows which are really taking over.

6. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

wow monster buck in your picture sheesh

7. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for that post. I saw a thing on the virginia state record that said that that fish was about 13 I believe. Anyone who has fished the brine water of virginia no those fish a something special though.

8. shadgut

shadgut New Member

State:
    camby, indiana
    Thanks 4 the info, i always release any cat, eat the ones from the store.

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Thank's for the imfo I do alot of fish from Darwin's ferry up toward's terre haute .and down on the White river

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What??!!?? a 31 year old flat only weighs 34 lbs?!? Man, I have flatheads in my pond then thats older than I am...
    Would a 70# flat be 70 years old? Are big 90# monster blues nearly as old as they are heavy?

11. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Is the Wasbash healthy? This pic tells me it's in good shape. My buddy's have been sending me pics of 20 pound plus channels all week. He has also been slaying the bighead carp. Today he was throwing a jig and pulled in this monster Walleye. Luckily she just spawned out and is going on the wall. Don't know the weight and official length but it was around 28".

Attached Files:

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    a 31 yearold flat only weighing 34 pounds etc. just don't sound right...

13. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Dog, has he been catching them this week????????We are going over Sat. if we don't get a bunch more rain....I will say this I'v fished the wabash for over 30 year's and as far as the health of the river it's the best I'v ever seen it...there's not alot of junk floating in the drift's and at Terre Haute they have made those place's that discharge water into the river clean up their act..Here's what a fish bioliogist told me...catfish in a pond or lake with agood forgage base.. catfish will grow around 2 pound a year...in the river a round a pound a year..

14. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    That Eye was caught yesterday 4/8 mixed in with the channels gorging on shad and bighead carp minnows. I agree the Bash has been on fire the last few years. Find a warm water discharge or feeder creek if you can.

15. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    thank's for the imfo ..IF we go we are either going to Darwin or Clinton. talking heavy rain the next two day's .....I hope not...

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info enjoyed my reading

17. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great info Thanks for submitting it !

Mike-

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  19. iccats

iccats New Member

State:
    morgantown, Indiana
    im a vincennes university student and im looking to stay in vincennes over the summer and to pass time i was thinking i would probably be catfishing a lot...

i was just wandering where the best spots to fish the wabash would be in or near vincennes?

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    fishgeek can elaborate more on this, he did an age study for me, when he was a biologist, on a few lil flats(i dont kill large ones) he said they use a couple of different ways to age fish and they give different results. im not sure they really know, without qustion, how old fish are. hopefully he will chime in and give more technical info.