Wabash River advice please :-(

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by fcrnnngbck25, Jun 9, 2007.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Well I've been fishing the Wabash around covington for about a week now without much luck. I sat under the train bridge south of the boat ramp and got nothing but snags and one nice bite. It seemed good but didn't have much luck. Anyone want to help me out? I've used liver, cut skipjack, shinners, some shrimp (caught a few little ones on it), and live/cut gills.

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    ah invading my territory are ya lol well since u are a BOC member i will let u off lol. no really i fish the wabash all the time i am from covington but live in state line now. anyway u need to move down under the power lines i have the best luck there or down by the railroad bridge. do u have a boat? maybe we can meet up and see what we can do? ur bait is excellent , and i also use small bluegills hooked thru the top back dorsal area.

let me know how that works . pm me and maybe we can meet up one evening!

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I wish i had a boat. I just turned 17 so i'm workin on that :-D. I'm going to try and use more bluegill I don't think i tried it down there yet. I might try it out down there tonight. Thanks for the advice thou :big_smile:

4. grizzlycats

grizzlycats New Member

State:
    Indiana

I've never fished the Wabash, but I was gonna ask if there are power lines that cross over the river anywhere. If there are some, try fishing under there. It has something to do with the electricity that flows thru the lines that seem to attract some mighty large cats. Maybe the electromagnetic pulses? I dont know but I have had some good luck fishin under power lines.. Good luck & keep us posted on how ya do.

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I went fishing by the boat ramp while my mom was gettin stuff from the store so I couldn't fish long but an older gentleman came by and he was releasing some fish he had just caught on his boat into the river. He said he just went under the powerlines that do flow across there at one spot and said they were stacked up all over the place. So i'm going to have to try it out. I'll keep you guys posted on how I do. I'll try to go out today and try my luck.

6. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    the power lines next to 136 bridge are were u need to be. what is your setup u are using? let me know when u can go i may be free next sat evening if u wann go out in the boat with me.

7. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

I have been using a 1 oz egg or no roll sinker with a barrell swivel, with about 1 ft 40-50lb mono. Mainline is 50 lb powerpro but i've been fairly disappointed with it. I've been using 4/0 tru-turn hooks and 2/0s for liver or cheapo eagle claws. I'm very experienced and my budget is fairly tight but I do with what I got. One pole is med-heavy not really sure with abu garcia 6000 baitcaster, and two cheapo wal-mart special spinning reels one medium action and the other I believe is too but i'm not sure. I don't have football so I should be available this weekend. If we do decide to go out I must say I muchly appreciate it because it gets lonely sitting on the bank by yourself :crazy: and i've only fished from a boat twice. I am grateful for your sincerity and trust in taking someone you barely know fishing. Even if you can't go the idea means alot and I thank you for that.

8. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i fish the hutsonville, p-town train trussel, powercove, and dead river parts of the wabash any one know where im talking about