Wabash River access ramps

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by MNeffle, Apr 12, 2007.

1. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would like to know if anyone knew of any good ramps around Interstate 65 in the Lafayette area. I have a 14ft Jon Boat with a 25/20 Mercury Jet Outboard. I am interested in learning the lay of the river in this area. I would like to know deep holes and snags, etc. Looking for large Flathead habitat. I heard that there are some 30 to 40 foot hole up around the Lafayette area, any help would be welcome.

The season is upon us............Mike:cool2:

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey MIke! Sorry I can't help you out with your access question but I can say "Welcome to the BOC!" This is a great place & I'm sure someone will give you the heads-up on where to get your boat on the river in that area.

Actually, I guess I do know of two public ramps in the area. One on Ferry Street about 2 miles north of Lafayette and another about 8 miles west of W. Lafayette on River Rd. to Granville Bridge (CR 700W).

Check of the Recreation & Fishing guide:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishng/2007RFG/large/Where%20to%20Fish,%20License,%20Fees%20pgs%2056-65.pdf

3. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    Hi Mike , welcome to the boc .
    I hate to bust your bubble , but there's not any hole's that I've found thats even close to 30ft deep , and I've fished from just north of 65 to south of Williamsport. There might be only a half dozen or so in the 12 to 15 ft range . There's six ramps in the lafayette area . three of them are pretty good .
    the easy one for you to find is about 4 miles east on st rd 25 ,its at the juntion of the tippacanoe river , a lot of people fish there. it is a pay ramp. the next ramp take st rd 43 south about 4 miles , this ramp put you right downtown. the ramp I use is about 6 more miles down river from this ramp just follow 43 to 321 to south river road to fort Quiatenon , it's not as hard as it sounds, just follow the river ! the forts a county park , there's a big parking lot here and restrooms ( ye old outhouse ) .
    I hope this helps , if you decide to come up here , let me know and we can hook up .
    vince

4. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    Hey Mike, Welcome to B.O.C:cool2:

BIGCAT GarryEads

5. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks to all for the replies,

Vince,

I really appreciate the info on the six ramps and will probably opt for the ramp that is located in the park. Do you think it is save to leave your vehicle parked in the lot all night ? I plan on taking some vacation time around the end of April and into the beginning of May. Maybe we could hookup and fish during that period, weather and river levels permitting. Last year I spoke with one of our local conservation officers and he was telling me about a friend of his that was boating quiet a few 60 lb + Flatheads from this area. I plan on making several trip up north this spring and summer.

Tight-lines to all....................Mike :big_smile:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the boc, Mike!

you mite want to try the peru area also bud. on the bash, the harder a spot is to get to the better it is. there is a bit of preasure around lafayette and monticelo. mite serve you well to travel out of town a few miles. check for creeks islands and sharp bends on the terra server, print out and mark spots!

good luck bro and post your results.