Wabash-Lafayette - Catfishing on rivers

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Aspy33, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Aspy33

Aspy33 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I go to school at Purdue in West Lafayette and I am wantin to do some fishin on the wabash. I havnt done much river fishin and i was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers. When the cats start bitin, where to go, and what to do would all be great. Thanks

2. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Taylor, welcome to the BOC!!

sorry i cant help you on the locations, but im sure someone like Bnorth can help ya out.. he runs that area, and acts like he knows it well:smile2:

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try using google earth, or even mapquest. Using mapquest open a map of your area and click ariel view. it opens an interactive map like google, and most of the time clearer. this helps find access areas especially when bank fishing. I use them a lot.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yeah ben where are you,playin in the dirt?

aspy welcome to the b.o.c. below oakdale dam is real good this time of year if you bank bound. whites n eyes with a few cats and suckers there too. there is a place called fair field pits too that get stocked with trout in Lafayette. ask the fly fishers class at the collage,they use it.

5. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Kyle....what are you doing posting at 4:45 in the morning??? Don't you sleep? LOL

Welcome aboard Taylor, I think you'll really like the BOC. As far as fishing the Wabash, you've got quite a few options. You have even more if you are willing to drive around town a bit.

You can use Google Earth to find these:
    You can try the Wabash at Davis Ferry bridge (40.475322°, -86.869415°), or the retention ponds at Williamsburg on the Wabash Apartments in West Lafayette are really easy to get to (40.428347°, -86.897975°) or Tapawingo Park on the levee in WL (40.421787°, -86.897087°).

Davis Ferry has a boat ramp and bank areas- I've had some luck there, but not alot.

The retention ponds are good, I've caught channels, flats, bowfin, drum, sturgeon, gar and everything in between out of there. There's usually something biting there and the ponds are attached to the river so you've got that option too.

Lastly is Tapawingo Park. It starts at the Brown Street Lookout and extends downriver to the SR 26 bridge. It's mostly sandy shoreline and there are some deep holes there. The closer you get to the bridge the deeper the channel gets but it also moves closer to the center of the river.

Those are all relatively easy to get to and easy to fish. If you have questions, shoot me an email (bnorth1@gmail.com) or PM me. I'm working 55+ hours a week right now until the end of May but if you want to meet up sometime and fish let me know I'll let you know if I'm available. I went out last night and the water temp is still pretty chilly, I wouldn't expect things to get real productive until the water pushes past 60 degrees. I hope all that helps. The BOC is a great tool, be sure to ask lots of questions...someone is bound to have an answer.

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah I left out all the other places in town other than the 'Bash. Tim just listed a couple really good options, and there's also Wildcat Creek.

7. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

in between playing pool on thursdays, fishing whenever i can, and a 3yr old little boy, who has time for sleep????

actually i did get in trouble last night.. im usually done playing pool by 1130 or 12, came stumblin in around 4ish.. oops.. at least i wasnt driving, and didnt buy most of em:smile2:

im so glad he goes to preschool.. i felt a little rough at 7 when he got me up to tell me bye :eek:oooh:

8. Aspy33

Aspy33 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks a lot everyone. I'm use to just walkin out my back door, puttin a hot dog on my hook and tossin it out into the channel. Thats all I ever had to do to catch catfish. Hopefully the weather stays warm so I can try these spots soon. Thanks again

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Taylor. This is a great site...you'll learn a lot and everyone's willing to help out.

Ben, thanks for helping Taylor. You da' man!:cool2:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana