Wabash 8/16

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Fishgeek, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Had a slow night tonight. Not many hits on live or cut bait. The one FHC I did catch took a bluegill head. It was 8 lbs. I also caught 3 turtles...actually I think it was the same one 3 times!!! Stupid turtles:angry:

2. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Thats when I decide that the turtle is gonna be lunch the next day :wink:

Had the same problem the last couple nights out. Caught a few small ones and had a real nice one break me off. Other than that its been nothing but watching the water flow by.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went back out tonight & was very excited about the river coming up a bit from the rain we had the last two days. When I left the house about 4:30pm
    the river gage said flow was about 300 cfs (Sunday night it was 170 cfs). By the time I got bait & made it out to my spot the river came up substantially! So much that I couldn't fish my hole -- could barely cast across the river to reach the log jam & the current was so strong it just washed my 5 oz sinker & bait right down stream! Fullstringer called me & told me the flow was at 1200 cfs! So, in about 2 hours the river came up that much.

I fish an outside bend downstream of the hole & an inside bend upstream of the hole & managed 3 pretty decent channels. If I would have know it was that high I would've gone to a different spot!

4. billyballard

billyballard New Member

State:
    Dugger,Indiana
    when the the bite is slow on live bait i start throwing shell on shrimp.. been pretty productive so far.. we have had days where they wont hit live or cut bait and end up catchin 100 or more on the shrimp...

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Billy!

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Out again tonight & did a little better than last time. One flathead: 17 lbs on a big bluegill head at about 9pm...just as the river spiked its high for the day. It rained like crazy too. I got soaked.

Time for bed now!

7. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Awesome! That gives ronski and I hope for tonight! We are heading to lafayette for some big flats, and I'm hoping to catch a blue! I finally broke down and bought a baitcasting setup, so I want to target a blue for once. But atleast the bite is picking up do to rain. Ron was a little worried about the cold front killing the bite, but obviously it hasn't, if anything its picked it up! Good job though man, glad to hear the fish are picking up!

8. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Of course I'm worried about driving 2 & a half hours one way and getting skunked :wink: But I'm coming down anyway, can't catch fish at home!! Besides, somebodies gotta teach you how to use that baitcaster :wink: We can't do any worse than last time!

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are you taking extra line to spool on if the first backlash is too much to untangle?!?!:crazy:

10. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    good luck with your first baitcaster trip.
    remember that:
    one slash = good,
    2 splashes = re-bait.

have fun.

11. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    He was suprisingly pretty good with it last night. Now he's just got that awful problem of trying to break in a new rod!

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    ....so does that mean he didn't catch anything last night?

13. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Of course you know how it goes wth a new rod, everything he caught was on the OTHER rod!! Been there many times :eek:oooh:

14. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh I caught stuff, couple channels, 20lb flat, and a turtle! Just everything was caught on the good ole ugly stick! Nothing touched my new rod and baitcaster all night, oh well it will get broke in eventually. Even if I have to fish with only that rod till I catch something lol. I do need to work on casting with it though, can't get much distance with it yet. And no birdnests! Yet...