W.Va. state record Blue Catfish caught

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by Slatebar, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just read in the Williamson Daily News online that a new WV. state record Blue Cat has been caught. It was 40.4-inch. A record for lenght but not for weight. The fish was caught at ,,,,,,,,, 12 Pole Creek in Wayne County. It was caught by David Wayne Green of Wayne, W.Va.on August 5, 2009..

Congrats David.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, Congrats!

But what is better is,,, that is proof that the blues are growing fast here at the Greenup pool,, It won't be long before we have those 80 lbers up here!! :big_smile:

For those that don't know,,,the WVDNR just started stocking them a few years ago.

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    It kind of surprised me when I read Twelve Pole Creek. That is a rather small creek. We caught Channels out of it when we were kids, never dreamed of a state record Blue coming out of there. Also use to get some mighty fine "corn juice" down on 12 Pole :wink::smile2:

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta be the Greenup pool man, that's four hours from me! When they get them around Marietta let me know......:eek:oooh::crazy::cool2:

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats good new for me i fish the greenup pool from time to time....

7. Bassmaster9863

Bassmaster9863 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    yea 12 pool is really small..... im betting sumbody threw it in from a pay lake or somthing like that

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "When they get them around Marietta let me know.."

As I recall, they have been stocking them from Belleville(spelling?) on down.

"yea 12 pool is really small..... im betting sumbody threw it in from a pay lake or somthing like that "

Could be but,, when I was a youngin we used to regularly catch 5 to 10lb carp out of 4 pole creek and that one is a whole lot smaller. ( I think they came up to breed)

And the reports didn't say where he caught it,(smart guy!) the location may have been right close to the river.

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Lawrence, have you ever got any of the big Bullfrogs out of 12 pole. Back in 50's and early 60's it was soaded with bullfrogs. Yum Yum

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    belleville pools is marietta it runs from reedsville to willow island

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Lawrence, have you ever got any of the big Bullfrogs out of 12 pole..."

Nope, caught several good channels and a few nice bass from there but 12 pole is water I have not fished much. (yet!) As you know, we are blessed with a lot of fishable water here-abouts, it's hard to get to it all.

I have an acquaintance that is selling a house top of the bank on 12 Pole and close enough to the mouth that you can dock a Pontoon right off the back yard. (he did)

Don't think I have not been tempted! It'd be darn sweet to have the boat "parked" in the water a couple dozen steps from the casa! :big_smile:

12. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I am in the Racine pool. I live in Ravenswood, does anyone know if they stocked any blues in our pool?

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont know if they have stocked any blues up in your pool but i do know a few years ago i was working on the barges on the river and we were held up in pittsburgh one time and we fished off the tug and caught quite a few cats and a few of them were blues. they werent huge but they were blues. so id be willing to bet that you do have blues in your pool they are just harder to find

14. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    Im sure they are at the deep end of the dams just getting fat on skips and shad.