VRO Problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by rairdog, Apr 18, 2008.

1. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I have fuel leaking at the top of the VRO pump. 88 Johnson J40ELCCS on the Lund I just bought. There is a 1/2" dia round black tab that bubbles/fuel leak out of. Pumps are $350. It idles ok but dies when I put it in gear. Seems to lose pressure at the bulb. Should I disconnect the VRO and go to premix. Should I get rid of the VRO and get the normal fuel pump. Use a brass nipple where the suction line goes int the crankcase, fuel line in and keep manifold for 2 fuel line out to carbs. Plug the extra manifold outlet. Did a search and it seems to be to best thing is to get rid of the VRO. Also a little fuel spitting out of the top carb. Maybe bowl is full and inlets are clogged? Thanks in advance.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Bulb loosing pressure is normal, they all do it.

Cutting out when you put it in gear, I'm thinking, isn't the fault of the pump, but your carbs. They're already full of gas, and should run for a little while.

Are you sure your firing on both cyl's?

If you want to change to a standard type fuel pump. Just hook the pulse line from it to that blue nipple the VRO pulse line is connected to.

What's your compression?

3. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Had the compression tested at the marina and it was 130.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Now, if your sure your firing on both cyl's, you do need to do something about that pump. That's where your getting your oil for internal lubrication.

Don't overlook the possibility that your carbs need attention also.

5. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I can feel suction at both carbs so I assume they are both firing. We are pulling the carbs to clean them and figure out why top carb is spitting fuel. Thinking its an inlet/outlet on the bowl thats clogged? Then I plan on pulling VRO pump becuse it leaks in a spot that I don't think can be fixed. From my research it seems this is the best option. Pull the pulse limiter from the crankcase and replace it with a threaded brass nipple to hose connector. It seems some people leave the pulse limiter on. Run a line from here for suction. Use the existing fuel manifold (which has 3 outlets), plug the extra outlet and run the other 2 to each carb. Am I missing anything, have never done anything like this.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Suction at the carb throat has no baring on if it's firing on that cyl.

Why would you want to remove a protection device, such as a pulse limiter?

Some carbs do spit small amounts of fuel, they just do. If it spurts out quite a bit, It's caused by a broken reed valve behind that carb.

You've got it pretty well covered.