Vonage

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i asked in an earlier thread what everyone thought about vonage, and if they knew about it. the replies were somewhat sparse. after further thought and research, i acquired it.

have had it for a month and a half, now. it is great. i was worried about losing the phone if internet went down, but my phone line goes down as much as internet. plus, even when i lose internet a caller can leave me voice mail. not only that, when someone leaves me voice mail i get an email telling me about it. i go to the vonage website and play the message over my windows media player...how cool is that? i have unlimited continental united states long distance free. the service costs me 24.99 per month. you do have to have broadband, but the wife insisted on that anyway. i am saving 75 to 150 bucks per month. i would encourage anyone that has broadband to use this service.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My DSL is thru my phone company... don't think they'd go for it...:sad2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't force it; get a larger hammer. ~~Anthony's Law of Force

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

they don't have a choice, Jeb...by law they have to allow you choice:smile2:

4. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I caught the fine print in one of their tv commercials that said something like "Vonage 911 doesn't work like traditional 911 systems do". What's that all about?

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    i hear mixed reviews on vonage.we have a house phone and dsl,dont really need the house phone considering between to two of us we have 3 cell phones that most people call us on.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Only difference is phone works when electric is out, those ones ran through cable do not. I would just have a cell in case of emergency when electric is out. Thanks for the heads up on it though.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I’ve heard mixed reviews , too. The bottom line is that it’s only as good as your Internet service. For some that will mean it works great, others will have problems.

I have a buddy who travels for his work. In the hotels at night he plugs his adapter into the broadband connection and gets calls from friends and family just as he was home. He is from another state, and to encourage family to call him he added a 2nd phone number that was local to where he was from. His family in Michigan can call a Michigan number and reach him without incurring long distance charges, and folks in Missouri where he lives can call a Missouri number to reach him. He loves it.

Another buddy lives in Mexico most of the year, and Vonage gives him a Missouri phone number that allows him to operate with the international call fees. He calls bac khome for free, and folks at home call him for free. But in the afternoons and evenings when people get out of school and off work, it becomes spotty (calls break up), due to congestion at his Internet provider.

And another friend dropped the service after a couple of months due to poor call quality. I’ll guess that his Internet service wasn’t so good, but he is not a Vonage fan at all.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've had vonage for over 6 months and think it's great!