Volvo aq120/270outdrive

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by basebklyn7, May 30, 2007.

1. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    bob... scratching my head on another boat motor issue... and thought maybe you might have a couple suggestions for me.

my buddy bought a 1981 bayliner explorer.. it has a volvo aq120 4 cyl motor and a volvo 270 outdrive.. (left hand prop etc) etc..

for starters.. what do you put in the lower unit for gear lube?? ive read that you put the same oil in the LU as you do the motor.. just wanted to verify..

also.. the motor runs good.. except.. sometimes you have to put a few drops of gas into the carb to get it to start.. and it will only let you run it at 2500 rpms.. anything higher it will run for about 10 seconds then kill...?? a guy i was conversing with told me it could be the diaphram in the fuel pump?? we've checked the exposed fuel lines for cracks, etc... replaced the fuel filter.. teh guy he bought it from.. told us he put new seals in the carb.. could it be something in there??? we've tried adjusting the carb and no change....

what do you think.. hope ive added enought information for you....

greatly appreciated...

sean

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Oh you've added plenty of information, only thing is, I've got very little experience with them Volvo's. Can't help you a bit.