Volunteering..

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catmanofohio, Jan 10, 2007.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Well i just got off the phone with the Adams county game warden.. Chris Gilkey. He is going to try and help to get me on with the Wildlife Careers (ODNR)... Im going to start by Volunteering at some local areas if possible, IE doing turkey traps and stuff like that.. also volunteering at the local soil and water center.. he said that they are in with the ODNR as well..I love being outdoors and helping out when i can. So i think this would be a great job for me.. i have wanted to be a game warden since i was about 10 (19 now) i would love to go to Hocking Tech.. in Central Ohio... they host about 80% of the game wardens and have very good study programs there about science courses and what ppl need to become a wildlife official. The good thing is he lives w/in 15-20 mins from where i do.. so we can hang out and talk about what all i will have to do to get in.. he says that about 1:1000 apply for that position and i have talked to him a good bit about it before, and he says from what he can tell about how much i know about the laws and stuff, that i might just be that 1 out of the 1000... dont know if hes just saying it or not.. a lot of my teachers and stuff in the past have said that, that would be a great field for me to go into and that i would have great opertunities* SP.. for advancement... Hopefully i can get on and start volunteering ASAP! and be in college by next year in Hocking Tech studying to become a GREAT OFFICER. Welp enough for now, going to go do some more research on the job! wish me luck...
    Matt Stratton
    AKA
    Officer Stratton :big_smile:

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good luck Matthew, i hope you follow your dream!! I also wanted to be a game warden when i was your age, but got sidetracked when i went into the service.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good luck to you! Was something I thought I would get into also......

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck to ya, we need more conservation officers.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good Luck Matt!! Follow Your Dream Son. God Bless J.D.

6. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Good for you Matt...ummm...errr...Officer Stratton!

Be on the look out for dream stealers. Those are people that plant those seeds of doubt and distraction in our heads. From what you have posted, it is obvious that this is important to you. It's an admirable profession and one that is worth pursueing.

Best of luck to you.
    Keep us updated.

Tony
    _

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    thank you all so far, and ill be sure to keep everyone updated on the situation.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Good luck Matt, if you see me out there tho Ill tell you Im a part of the BOC and that should get me an extra Rod/Reel to throw out :big_smile:

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good luck. I have a friend that is becoming an agent. He is in training at Jeff City at this time. The training is pretty tuff.

10. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wishin you the very best, Matthew! And I'm with the others about following your dream... don't let anyone's doubts and negativity get in the way. I think it's wonderful that you have such a goal and I'm sure you have the drive and skill to accomplish it!

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Way to go catman, hey, do you remember Pendog66?? ( Nate Pratt) He is at Hocking Tech right now( started this fall) for the Wildlife Enforcement Officer program as well Send him a PM and he can tell you all about it so far.

Good luck dude!!
    Salmonid

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Best of luck my friend. This world sure could use a few more passionate officers.

Wishing you nothing but the best

13. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Hey Matt im doing almost teh same thing here in NC. Im takeing my first college corses to become a Game Warden or Conservation Agent. It is alot of hard work, but the pay off in the end will be doing what I LOVE. So keep at it man and maybe I ll see you at a Conservation Convention down the road.

14. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well brothers and sisters... i talked to Fallsville wildlife center today.. and they said that the papers will be on their way tomorrow... I have to fill out the forms.. then it may take a week or two.. but if they proceed.. (sure they will no criminal background on me.. or any bad history) i will be a volunteer... ATM they are doing a lot of turkey trapping and things in that nature.. and i cant wait... just thought id let u guys know... Later
    Matt