Visiting West Virginia in July

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by bwanatony, Apr 12, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hello WV Brothers,
    I'm going to be in the Lansing area in the last week of July this year, rafting the New River.
    What kind of fishing opportunities might I find around there then?
    Should I take spinning gear for smallmouths, or casting gear for cats?
    Is the New any good?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Tony

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would take both if I was you. Never fished the New river, but there is awesome flathead fishing in the Ohio,Kanawha and Little Kanawha rivers. Also some big flatheads at Burnsville lake. Good luck on your trip

3. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Welcome to the Mountain State in advance. The New is loaded with smallmouth. Also Summersville Lake along with Burnsville Lake offer some awsome catfishing less than an hour away. Come on down and enjoy the hospitality.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Do you think they'll like curly tail grubs on 1/4 oz jigs like their MI cousins?
    Is there a preferred bait/lure?

Thanks,
    Tony

5. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I haven`t fished the New but I`m sure any of the locals can clue you in. I`m not sure if they still do it , there used to be a fishing guide in that area that fished the rough areas. You only had a small window to cast into the pools as you went by. Sorry I can`t help you more.

6. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Tony,might I suggest to you that if you plan on doing some smallmouth on the New,please try and find you some spring lizards,and soft shells crawdads.I won't fish it without them.