Visiting San Antonio and looking for a place to catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by alands94, Dec 26, 2006.

1. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Hello, my wife and I are taking a trip to San Antonio in July of 2007. We are visiting her old stomping grounds and we want to do some catfishing. From looking at the map, it looks like Calaveras and Choke Canyon. Does anyone have suggestions, info, etc. about either lake? I've found the basic info on the net. I've never been to Texas, so I'm sure it will be an experience! Thanks in advance.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Choke Canyon is a very good spot. Look for Coramont roost and fish around those. Bait fish are attracted to the poop, catfish to the bait fish. Lake Braunig can be good from what friends say who live in the area.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Jerry - much thanks for the info. I'll see what info I can dig up on Lake Braunig.

4. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    Hi there a good lake in texas:big_smile: Medina lake is west of San Antonio it's a good lake to fish out in the hill country area,also the medina river that feeds into the lake is also a good spot to fish. I grew up in Bandera Texas 40 min west of San antonio. I go back every year to fish and hunt down there with family and friends. Go to bandera the medina river flows through the town. Caught many flatheads from 5-40 lbs river so clear your can see the bottom in spots that are not deeper than 10 feet. :big_smile: Good luck and have fun. I was down there last april an had a blast.:cool2:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Patrick, thanks for the information!

6. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
  7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Bruanig and, I believe, Calaveras also have Redfish stocked in them too. They are power plant lakes with warm water discharge. In the summer, the reds won't be at the discharge, but its what allows the redfish to survive the winters.

This is the Texas Parks and Wildlife link to information about Choke Canyon, Calaveras, and Braunig.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/inscent.phtml

8. DavidCnSAtx

DavidCnSAtx New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey guys
    Shoot me a PM a couple of weeks before you come and I will put you in the right direction I fish both Braunig and Calaveras on a regular basis and can help you I keep a hole baited at both,and if you let me know you're coming I will get them good and ready, and if you don't have a boat with you I can help there too.I am a firefighter and fish during the week alot and often look for people to fish with when my fishing partner is busy (she rodeos). oh well

9. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Both Calaveras and Brauning offer some good fishing. I like Calaveras most since it's bigger and offers more camping locations. Fellow fishermen with boats can have an advantage fishing away from the park areas, there are some pix inside the connssesion store with some impressive catches something like a 35 lb cat and some big reds too.
    I'm sure you'll have great time here.

Also looking for some fishermen from around these parts to swap stories and do some learning too.

Ruben

10. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Your coming to South Texas in July ??? WHY?

We live 100 miles North of San Antonio and have a place at Choke Canyon. We come home June 1st and don't go back until October 1st.

Joking aside the power plant lakes may be the better place to fish depending on water level. Choke is down about 7 1/2 ft now and Buchanan is down 22 ft. This time 2004 both were full. Like many things in Texas fishing conditions can change With one good rain in the right place. Check back in about 1 June and we will have a better Idea how things are looking.:roll_eyes:

11. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Calaveras is an excellent numbers and occasional fishery.
    I love the lake.
    It offers a unique fishery having freshwater reds and lots of them.
    You definetly shoudl check out either Braunig or Calaveras, it's a great place to fish.
    As far as big blues they exist out there but not like east tex lakes becasue it is a hot water lake and they seem to have trouble surviving the hot temps during the summer hotter months.Lake record is 31 lbs and some change but there has to be a 40 plus lurking out there.:big_smile:
    Let me know when you come to town and I'll point you in the right direction. It's a fun lake to explore and have fun with the family.
    Tight Lines!
    Cliff Hill

12. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    I should add...as with most catfishing that shad are the prominent bait at calaveras. However lately we have been doing much better fishing punch bait around 9-12 ft around rip rap with slip bobbers. this cold snap should have the blues biting good , i hope to take a break fomr the annual white bass run to take advantage of it as they should be staged up around ledges in 10 ft near structure

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Cliff:
    Thanks for the info and PM. I will get in touch with you when we come down.

14. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    no problem, just wanting yall to have a great trip which you will in July cause San Antonio is a great with lots to do in the summer.