Visiting Kentucky

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Marc_g, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Marc_g

Marc_g New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey guys, i am a BOC member from arizona coming to the Richmond area for work for about 3 weeks in late march early april. I hope to have at least one weekend totally free for fishing, plus as many afternoons as I can. I would sure appreciate any tips on lakes, rivers and spots in the area. I am wondering if it is too early then to bring my big cat gear, any good bank fishing areas with some camping nearby, any info would be greatly appreciated

Marc G
    Mesa AZ

PS - willl trade beer for info:big_smile:

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You might get some good information from the bait shop-[SIZE=-1](859) 623-9836

Jake
    [/SIZE]

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wish I could help out but I'm quite a ways from Richmond.If you was coming closer to me you wouldn't have to trade any beer for info...:smile2:
    Beer sounds mighty good but my tummy says no!

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Marc, welcome to the BOC. Im from Henderson farther to the west part of KY. The Kentucky river is just north of Richmond, hopefully some of the brothers in that area can help out more in detail.

5. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If the Ky River is in good shape, which is iffy in late March and early April, Boonesborough State Park is a pretty good spot and close to Richmond. People catch some nice fish below the lock there: channels, flatheads, and drum. This time of year, you might get into some white bass as well. Walleye and muskies are also sometimes taken below that lock. If the river is bad, there are a couple of lakes in the Richmond area: (1) Wilgreen is pretty heavily fished (lots of bass tournaments), but you can catch bass, channel cats, crappie, and other pan fish, and (2) Lake Reba has a good reputation as a bluegill lake (I've never fished it). I know you can rent boats at Wilgreen, which if I'm not mistaken is only about 100 acres. There is a boat dock there, but I'm not sure when it opens. There is a decent tackle/bait dealer on 801(?) and US 25. I think it is called the Bait Bucket. Here is a web site for Wilgreen Lake: http://www.1fghp.com/Wilgreen. Beware of some of the guys on the Wilgreen site; some of them are not nice people. Here is the website for the KDFW info on Wilgreen and Reba: http://fw.ky.gov/WaterBodyDetail.aspx?wid=121&hndacc=N&atype=*&CID=*; http://fw.ky.gov/WaterBodyDetail.aspx?wid=307&hndacc=N&atype=*&CID=*.
    Hope this helps

6. Marc_g

Marc_g New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks evryone for the help

BOC people are the best

I am really looking forward to drowning some worms there and maybe meeting some KY catters

thanks

marc