Visiting AZ, need info

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by catman529, Mar 22, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey all. I am visiting AZ here for a few days. I am in the Tuscon area and will be here until Monday. They got a pond down here right by a big park/playground. They stock the pond with bass, channel cats, rainbow trout, bream and some other fish. Tomorrow (thursday), they are stocking more channel cats. I got some nightcrawlers and catfish charlie dough bait. I got all the tackle I need. Here's my main question: what will the cats be most willing to bite? worms or the stink bait? I will be going out tomorrow to (hopefully) watch them stock the cats. I doubt the newly stocked fish will feel like eating anything but there are already cats in there. So I will be targeting channel cats and rainbow trout primarily. Bass and bream are just extras and I couldn't care less about catching them. So those of you with AZ fishing experience, I would greatly appreciate some tips. Thanks in advance and tight lines.

Catman

2. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I would say if your trying to catch either channel cats OR trout I would try some nightcrawlers. The cats or the trout in the pond will both hit those nightcrawlers. Give it a try for an hour or so and if you don't catch anything then I would try the stinkbait. If there's a Circle K near the pond they probably have both. If your going to use the stinkbait I would try a small treble hook with that.

Good Luck Jon and let us know how you do
    Micah

3. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Catman....try some whole kernel corn for the trout and some "cooked" hot dog pieces for the cats. Good Luck

4. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My favorite channel cat bait is chicken liver, and night crawlers. But the crawlers should catch cats and trout.

5. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The lake is Silverbell. Most of the guys use nightcrawlers and stinkbait but I've seen guys do really well on raw shrimp. Kinda spendy but they've outfished any body else around them.

6. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks all for the info. I believe the lake is called sahuarita lake. I caught a handful of "micro" bass that ranged from 5 to 8 inches. Caught on nightcrawlers by the shore. The water is green, shallow, with aerators in the center. all around near the shoreline is only 2 feet deep or less. 10 feet is the deepest in the lake. No timber or anything. it is part of a park so everything is made to look nice. one more question for y'all: where will the cats and trout most likely be during the day?

7. Dirkdigler33

Dirkdigler33 New Member

State:
    arizona
    In these man made lakes ,I've always had most of my luck with hotdogs.I know it sounds white trash but they work better than anything .

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Look at the Arizona Game and Fish site. The lake you mention is part of the urban stocking program. You may find some useful information about this lake there. I have found the hotdogs, chicken liver or crawlers work the best. Good luck !!!