Virginia/West Virginia Fishermen!

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by flathead willie, Aug 20, 2005.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hi everyone. I'd sure like to hear from fishermen, especially catfishermen, from this area! Does anyone fish the James river, the New River, or Smith Mountain Lake? There are a lot of Mid-Westerners on this site. Lets get some Virginians in here!

2. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    It sure would feel alot better. it would make easyer also when we would want to get a gathering planed.

Where ya at south western virginia.

3. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm out of Chesapeake. Fish the James and Chickahominy rivers primarily.

It looks like the old BOC board has been a little slow for the VA guys. It'll probably take a little while for them all to find this board.

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for getting back here so soon, guys. I have family in Pungo and my best friend lives on a boat in Portsmouth. I'm trying to find time to get down that way and do some more fishing and Dove hunting.
    Tell all your fishing buddies about this site and maybe we can get something going around here. I hear the big Spots are running down there now!

5. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    They're gettin some good spots. I had heard that there was a real good croaker bite going on, but all of the Pier and Surf reports are reporting small fish.

The dove are a little late coming this year. Corn is just now starting to get cut. The birds should show up in short order, I just hope it's soon enough for the opener. I hunt a friend's farm right on the north shore of North Bay half way between Pungo and Sandbridge. He's usually got THOUSANDS of birds on the property. My fingers are crossed for this year.

/Scott

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Sound good. I'm getting married on Sept. 3rd, at Smith Mtn. Lake and my new daughter-in-law and her husband will be coming up from Pungo. I'm hoping to get down to their place which is right on the bay to do some fishing and dove shooting the following weekend. Ken was telling me about the dove shoots down there. He also hunts duck but said it isn't as good as it used to be. We only get a few doves up here. No big grain fields around here since we are in the mountains.There are a lot of geese on the river here and in the fields.
    Billie

7. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Duck hunting down here has been terrible. They do better in North Bay but it's all tied up in either Refuge or private blinds.

I generally hunt woodies a day or two in the early season up on Chickahominy lake and wait until later in the year and target Scoter in the bay, which is AWESOME!!

Other than that, I get after 'em if they show. If not I'll be on the James this year after big blues!!!

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    P.S. Congrats on the wedding!!

What's your son-in-law's name? My friend, Todd, probably knows him. It's a small world down there.

/Scott

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Hi Scott,
    His name is Kenny Halstead. He has a cool place down there...just a short walk back to his blind on the bay. A canal comes right up to his backyard.
    I haven't hunted ducks since the late 70's when I went after woodies in the swamps of Georgia. When the season is in up here, I'm usually in the woods bow hunting white tails. I may have to give that up this year as I'm having trouble with my right knee. It's getting hard to get them out of the mountains. I fish flatheads up here but have wanted to go after Big Blues for a long time. The guy that runs our local store, the only one in Big Island, has a picture of a 67# blue his buddy caught in Hopewell. It makes me drool! Can you suggest any good places to go? I usually fish from a canoe but Kenny has a boat.
    Anyway, that's a nice one you got there.
    Anybody else out there from Virginia? Let's hear from you.
    Billie

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone who says that size doesn't matter, doesn't fish!

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Havin' trouble with this POST and QUOTE thing! I'm computer challenged!

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Flathead Willie, sent you a PM.

13. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Flathead brother i been emailing you hope your ok have not herd back from you yet.

14. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Well fellas, I'm still here from time to time, but I'm just not happy with the new board. I think the change was for the worse. Sure the old board had a lot of BS posted, and a few people making 1000s of posts about absolutely nothing, but it was familiar and comfortable. Nope, don't like this version. I still check in, but its more of a weekly thing than a daily thing now. As far as the river goes, I live in Hopewell and fish the James every opportunity I get. The bite had been slow for a while due to the heat (80+ degree water temps), but things are picking up now. Water temps are down into the low 80s and upper 70s. If they drop to the lower to mid 70s things should really turn on.

15. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    I fish the NEW RIVER, but in WV I have always wanted to fish the James I heard there was some big blues in that river. Maybe someday we could hook up and try our luck in either VA or WV.

16. cathunter 472

cathunter 472 New Member

I live in virginia and I mostly fish the potomac river but I have fished at smith mountain lake and that is the most beutiful place I have ever seen but when I was down there I did not catch much.

17. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Smith Mountain Lake has good fishing but from shore or a boat, I think the key is to get the right bait;SHAD! A small throw net does the trick after dark along the shore. Live bream, cut bait and Crawdads(Crayfish) also work well. Of course, with 500 miles of shoreline, you can do better by boat, especially for the big ones. If they are holding deep, there are only a few places to get to them from the bank.

18. draghook

draghook New Member

State:
    Shawsville Va
    Well Guys! I got about 10hrs fishing in at Smith Mnt Lake off the bank
    one 6'' cat and 1 perch. Don't tell no one about that catfish I caught.lol :cursing:

19. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Where are you fishing from the bank at on smith mountain lake i been looking for areas there.

You might want to play around alittle and try other baits also what works one day on them may not be what they want the next day try geting that bait off the bottom a foot or more.

Her the last 2 daus i been doing real good with that big round smoked sauage cut into 1 inch links the fry it slightly to get the oils init going they seem to right much like it.

I think soon i going to jump onto the virginia trophy channel weagon. or i might just wait till 2006 and do that.

I have already put afew trophy channels on the bank this year. just did not take the time to fill the slip out and register them in.

But im thinking about making 2006 my trophy channel year. and run hard at it all year long.

If i do well enuff i might shot for the master angel. but just have to wait and see what 2006 brings me. i have not really since i been able to catfish again got to go hard at it like i uee to this year was the first year in afew years that i been able to atleast stay out the hospital an get to the water.

But when i start slaming hard down onit like i use to i hope to have my digital camera up and going so i can post photos as i chase the trophy channels.

20. draghook

draghook New Member

State:
    Shawsville Va
    Vacatfish! I wasn't really fishing off the bank it was off a dock and I did
    use a lot off different bait but the water was alful hot.But at least I
    didn't tell you about the one that got away lol. :cursing: