Virginia trip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bigmagic, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well I just returned from my vacation in Virginia. Sadly I didn't break my personal best but we caught plenty of Blues from 25 to 38lbs. I posted some pictures in the Virginia section. I had a great time and learned a lot and got my arms worn out. I catch a lot of catfish here but I've never had my arms so tired I didn't want another bite before. It was truly unbelievable! If you ever get the chance to fish the James river for Blues do it! We also went on a whale sighting excursion and managed to film a baby hump back whale so the trip was very special to all of us. I should be back out fishing LOZ this week see ya on the water.

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Ron, sounds like you had a good trip. Going over to look at your pics now and see what wore your arms out.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    :) Ron, sounds like you had a great trip, much better than mine. What part of the river were you fishing in? We up above Hopewell, marked plenty of fish, but couldn't get them to bite.

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Tommy we started downriver but Chris changed gears once he realized the wind was going to blow so hard. We fished from Deep Bottom up to near Richmond and while the largest Blue was only 38lbs we had a ball. Chris is amazing we got cell phone calls from all over the river and we seemed to be doing better than just about everyone. Best catfish guide on the planet? Maybe. I quized him and worked his hind end off and his enthusiasm never wavered. He loves what he does and it shows. We were trailed at every spot we stopped but no one else took a fish after we left as near as I could tell. I'm sorry things didn't go as well as you expected did you have good bait? Chris uses the largest shad I've ever seen. You being from N.C. you probably have some similar size ones but we don't here on LOZ.
    Bottom line is if I had one trip left before the pearly gates its going to be Chris for Blues. Tight lines and bent Rods.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ron, sounds like you had a great trip! Glad you were able to land so many fish with the winds. I looked and seen the pics. you posted, very nice. Those are some fat shad for sure. Did you use them whole or as cut bait? Iv'e allways wanted to fish the james some day, if I do it sounds like Chris will be the guy to get ahold of. Good to here you had a good time. Now you got your arms in shape LOL. See you on the river!

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chris uses the head and the gut pocket and we didn't catch a fish under 20lbs. That might be the most amazing thing.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Actually, I'm from South Carolina, Ron. There is a distinct difference, as I'm sure the guys from up north will tell ya.:) We have the large gizzard shad here, but I had never used them for bait before this trip, so that was new to me. I've never used bait cut up as large as what we used there, either. I thought back, and I think we had more bites on the head, then the midsection, with gut pockets. The smaller tail sections without a gutpocket didn't get as many bites.
    We really had a good trip, despite not landing any more fish than we did. I'm anxious to return. I had considered a guide, but decided I would try it myself. I don't regret it, because I did learn a lot from the trip, mainly because of tips and info from the people I met or talked with online. Like you said, most people weren't catching much at all. The guided trips are definitely worth the cost, especially traveling as far as you did. I looked at my trip as more of a learning experience than to see how many fish I could land. I got to explore some areas and mark them on the gps for my next trip.

8. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    The James may be the best but you could have went to Santee Cooper! Thats another one(or two actually) I'm determined to fish. I learned a lot as well and if I ever get to take my boat watch out! I figured that the guide costs were cheaper or at worst equal to going to the movies if you figure cost per hour. Chris kept me out 10 hours! Well worth the money! We were on fish all day and yes we missed some too. I think some of the smaller fish couldn't swallow the huge bait we were offering. I'd love to get some guys from the midwest together and do a trip for cats and striper sometime.

I can't wait to get my boat in this week!

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like a great trip, Ron -- if you would, send me PM and let me know who your guide was and what the cost was. I'd really like to take a trip to the James sometime!

10. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I sent ya a PM with the information on Chris. Hope ya get a chance to go. I am going to be fishing hard this week preparing for the USCATs tourney. You can't start too early. I also have a request for some fish for a fish fry in July so time to start on that as well. See ya on the water.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Ron, Do you still have a boat after last nights weather? Our local weather man in Sioux City had a little thing about Warsaw getting his hard with wind, hail and a tornado. Best go down and check your slip and see if you have a boat or new fish structure.lol

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    My boat is fine Bill it was up in front of my house. I checked on it frequently(worried about a tree falling on it). Its insured but I'd hate to have to try to replace it. I worked on it Monday cleaning moving depthfinders etc. I am planning to fish some this week before the snaggers get going hard. See ya on the water!