Virginia Student killed by "hunter"

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 18, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Once again a hunter claims he mistook a human for a deer and killed a 23 year old college student and wounded another.....while trespassing to hunt. This is just unnecessary. Please be careful out there this season.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/226759

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    WOW:confused2::angry: Don't even have anything to say about this one except God Bless the family.

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I feel for the family but as far as the shooter,WHAT AN IDIOT.I mean if your hunting by a college you would think you would take extra precausion in choosing your target,and double check to make sure it's a deer.kinda makes you wonder if it was an accident?Whatever punishment the shooter gets prolly wont ne enough and the stupid bastard deserves everything he gets.............IMO.

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    If you can't tell the difference between a person and a deer, what the hell are you doing in the woods with a gun.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Sad deal. Sorry to hear that.

6. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    100% agree. Feel sorry for the the students and family

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    :angry:a dumbass like that should'nt be called a hunter.fry the mf.:angry:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just another senseless tragedy!

City slickers should never take up hunting!:wink:

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You shouldn't need to but its wise to wear blaze orange anytime in the woods during the fall and winter even when not hunting.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    This guy can't even be called a hunter. I've been hunting a long, long time and have never even come close to mistaking a human for game, yet it seems that almost every year some jerk claims he mistook a human for a deer or a turkey. A real hunter doesn't shoot at movement or color. A real hunter is absolutely sure of their target before they even level their gun.

"City slickers should never take up hunting!" (Blacky)

I doubt this guy is a city slicker. Ferrum is a real small college town in the middle of nowhere. It is surrounded by mountains and farm land on all sides. Roanoke is the closest city, 1 1/2 hours away, and it is a city in name only. At the height of "rush hour", I can drive from one city limit sign to the next in 5 minutes. I was raised in Washington DC, Boston, New York, and Philly, but I've never shot anyone that I didn't mean to shoot. Being from the city is no excuse for a "hunting accident".

11. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    This is certainly a terrible tragity. Part of safe hunting is always first to identify your target. Can't help but to think about the amount of pressure that is being put on success clouding people's judgement. Unfortunately things like this and heart attacks happen every year. My thoughts and prayers are with all concerned parties.

Ray

12. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    but things like this can be avoided.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Have always seemed to hear about this sort of thing too much.. Sad

14. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have said it many times, these are not accidents, he saw a target and pulled the trigger and should be tried for murder or at the least manslaughter. There are no excuses for morons like this

15. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I think that this guy should hang! He shot her in the chest! How do you mistake a human for a animal?

16. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    What a horrible and senseless act! Things like this can't be called an accident! Murder and manslaughter are not accidents. I hope he gets what he truly deserves...

17. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    and unless i read it wrong this dumb ass moron shot twice.double mistaken identity?THATS NO ACCICENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

18. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Shane; I mean no disrespect, but it does not matter where you are hunting, near a city or in the vast expanses of the West, there is no excuse for shooting someone while hunting game. The best example I am acquainted with was several years ago, my son and I are turkey hunting not far from where I live. We heard a gobbler open up before daylight so we moved into a position that I felt would be good to call him. We sat there for about a half hour waiting for him to fly down. As soon as he flew down and gobbled a hen opened up about 40 yards below us on the side of the steep ridge we sat on. Michael was really excited as this was his first hunt that we worked a bird. The gobbler and the hen kept a good conversation going for about 10 minutes before Michael said; "Dad I see a bird below us, "IT HAS WHITE!" He had always heard me and my friends talk about how white the top of a tom's head is when he is fired up and trying to impress a hen. He raised his gun, aiming at the bird. I told him to put the gun down and wait until we had a clear shot. The tom hung up about 70 yards out. This is a heavily hunted area and he was waiting for the hen to show up. On and on the war of turkey words waged. To say the least, I was excited to have a ring side seat to this great battle. Now and then we could see some white flash and the undergrowth move. Michael was beside himself to get a shot at his bird. Finally the tom gave up and moved off the ridge and headed East looking of a more willing hen. The hen was quiet for awhile and them got up and moved after the boss tom. At 6 foot 2 and 210 lbs, it was by far the biggest hen I have ever seen. I wish you could have seen the look on my son's face as the hen walked away. It was priceless. I left the woods that day feeling secure in the knowledge that I would never have to worry about Michael mistakenly shooting someone from that day on. He was scared to death from that experience. The white was an old permit in the holder on the back of the hunters vest and he probably did not even know was there. We never talked to the hunter and I do not believe he ever knew how close he came to being shot that day. I thank God that I was taught so well to hunt and be safe by my grandfather and father and that I had passed along all that I knew to my son. Believe it or not I have empathy for the shooter in this case. He was not as lucky or smart enough to have the learning and experience that we have and his family and his life has been altered forever as well as that of the victims. It is just a sad and terrible accident that has little value for it will happen over and over again.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I guess maybe folks around here are better shots. :sad2: Two shots = two hunters down http://www.kctv5.com/news/21661844/detail.html :confused2:

20. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    earl no disrespect to you.i respect your oppinion,and even ask your advice at times,but i have absolutly zero empathy for a grown man being that irresponsable.