Virginia River Flatheads

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by kayakgeek, Feb 1, 2006.

1. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I wanted to start this thread to collect, spread information on Flathead fishing in VA. I originally got the itch for whiskers two years ago after reading a VA Game and Fish magazine article on Flatheads in the James at the Hugunot Bridge in Richmond.
    After two kayak trips to Dutch Gap for Blues, I am thinking that the lower James is way to much water to cover for a yaker. As soon as it warms up I hope to head for the Hugunot section and do a float trip for Flatties. The Dan, on the NC border sounds like a prime place to try also.
    Does anyone have any idea how the upper Potomac might be? Or any ideas where else we might try in the central and northern VA region?
    TU
    Geek
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for the day,
    If you teach a man to fish, he will buy an ugly hat.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think you can catch them anywhere in the James west of Richmond.

3. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    hello kg,.......i love to catfish out of my canoes(4 of them), blue on my avatar is a 46 lber from the neuse out of my old town 158......dan river is awesome from just east of danville to kerr, i put in several places there.....river goes in and out of nc and va but there is a recipicle agreement....anyway you probaly know all that....i have wanted to fished the james at hugenot rd but havent yet......i have cked it out in person and it looks great.....i thought about just putting in at canoe ramp and fishing up towards the dam and maybe down some and paddling back to ramp...........i hope to fish the james there this spring or summer....mack

4. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    Hey Kayakgeek,

The section of river above Richmond is where I generally fish. I have caught flats from Richmond to Nelson county. Hugunot is a great place. My biggest, a 45 lber came out of 3 feet of water. I'm sure he had a hole in the area he called home. Good luck fooling with a big one in a yak, it's all I can handle pulling one in my Old Town Discovery.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Kayak,

I know you would like to try fishing the Occoquan Reservoir, but you also might want to try Bull Run and the Occoquan River above the Reservoir as well as below the reservoir. While I have not caught any out of there(channels and blues only) I have seen pictures of Flatheads that have been caught from Bull Run. Because the fishing pressure is not that great and there is lots of coverage, you should be able to do just fine in your Kayak.

6. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Kayak,

I fished Occoquan several times over the last few years without much luck (did catch a big channel). Let me know how you do and if you find any honey holes.

Good luck,
    Todd

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Hey OldDominion,,

I have done well fishing by the Bull Run Marina when the water is down. Lots of channels and Blues in the 3-10 pound range, all caught on different brands of stink bait. From the Bridge down about 100 yards on the Marina side.

8. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Mack in NC,
    The first time I fished the James, last Jan. 5th warm spell was in and out of the Hugunot ramp. The same trip you mentioned. The river flow was quite strong so I am not so sure you / I could get a mile or more upstream to the dam. I got a 22" and 24" Channel on night crawlers.
    One thought I had would be to find a partner to move the boats, drop the wheels at Pony Pasture and put in at Hugunot. Another thought was, for a longer day. Put in a couple of miles above the Bosher dam at Rabious park, portage the dam and get out at Hugunot.
    Do you really think that summer time flatties is a night time fish??
    I think I will have to try those sections a few time in the light, fish or no fish before I would try a night try. The way I read the magazines, the guides were fishing daytime.

Geek

9. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Bucky
    Was that Hugunot area, 45 lber caught day time or night time?

Geek

10. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I Live in Lynchburg, Virgina and Flathead fishing is great but I haven't caught
    any Blues but we do have plenty on Channels. I wish we had blues. We might but i haven't caught one.

11. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fished up near Buchannon one night and caught a 20+ lb blue and about a 40 lb snapping turtle (that thing was nasty). I think I would have caught more flatheads had I fished in the shallow areas.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Did you eat the turtle? When I was a boy we would catch two or three each summer and give them to an old man that lived on our farm. I helped him clean one and his wife brought some fried like chicken up to the house. That was a mistake. He didn't get all our turtles after that. Man those things are good.:)

13. Otter

Otter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nah, I threw him back. He was hooked right in the corner of the mouth and still gnashing the bluegill. I ended up cutting the line. I thought he was kinda nasty, lol. I don't know how to clean a turtle, but I'm willing to try one sometime (I guess)...:)

14. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Eaglesfan, I live in Rustburg and the the flathead fishing is good on the Staunton River, from Long Island, to Brookneal. Do you mainly fish the James in Lynchburg, or do you fish the Big Island, stretch? River Road is a sight for sore eyes..

Kayakgeek, The Dan River is also a good place to check out.. I have never fished the Dan, but I hear they got some Nice Ones swimming around down that way.

15. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Geek - I'm in if you want to hook up and do a float trip some time when it warms up.

/Scott

16. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    Geek, That 45lbr, was caught about 9:30pm in July. Usually I'm gone by then because our park system likes to run everybody out of the park after sun down. I'm usually launching my canoe about 5:30 and fishing till dark. Shrimp= channels, blues and some flatheads (The most action but smaller fish)
    Large goldfish= larger blues, and flatheads
    bluegills= chance at the monster Flathead
    Give me a shout this July and lets tryem

17. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Bucky / Scott

Looks like we have a plan getting together for July. One way or another we got to try that Hugunot section.

Geek

18. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    you might want to try to fish the dan river and aroung bugs island. the state record blue was caught a couple years ago weighing around 93 lbs. i fish at the upper dam and have awesome luck caught a flathead weighing 30 lbs and 40" long this past summer. a lot around 20 or 25 lbs. get with me sometime.

19. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    kayakgeek.....when i last looked at that section it was summer and low......looked like an easy paddle up i am sure if the water was up 1- 2 feet above where i saw it it would be tough........i cant remember where i read it but that some nice ones are caught there in the day.......mack