Virginia, Illinois - Waterworks Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishinpals, Jun 4, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    The Waterworks Lake at Virginia is loaded with channel and some good size ones. I largest I have caught is 10 lbs. but have seen 1 that went 17. There out to be some even bigger. The lake is 17 acres and has a boat launch. The launch area is shallow and can make it difficult to get boat in and out. Depends on trailer and size of boat. If you ever want to try it, dip bait and shrimp seem to be best baits but bluegill heads ought to get some biggins.

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Where is that located? I'm from Quincy & have only passed through Virginia on my way to Panther Creek. What about that small lake near the 4 way stop, is that open to the public & are there cats in it?
    Thanks!

Eric

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    everytime i see a post with virginia on it i think is about the place i live ....lol

4. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Virginia lake is north of town on Rt 78. Just a little bit pass the cementery on the left. There is 2 entrances, south and north entrance. The junction pond is pretty good for channel. Have caught many 10 lbers and was with a fellow the other who got a 12. usually catch several. There is some large carp. biggest I know of was 34 lbs. My wife and have caught several over 10. Going there late this afternoon. Have a good one.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Almost everytime I say I'm from Virginia people will ask what part. I just say eastern. Have a good one. have a friend who lives in Roanoke, Va

6. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    hey Jim, where the best place to fish there? I'm from Beardstown and have fished there a couple of times but never had much luck. Will be fishing from the bank.

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Try the south entrance and the first cove. You can park right by that big oak and walk down the bank. Have found that fishing towards the south end of the cove is best. Water shallows up and at eve they come into feed. Generally catch good eaters. Also over by the spillway is good. Dip bait and liver, shrimp, seem to work good. Going to try some bluegill heads sometime. They work good at Prairie Lake. Going to GridleY tonight. Have a good one.

8. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    how did you do at Gridley? Went down to the waterworks and had no luck. Going to try some shrimp next time. Only had nightcrawlers tonight.

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Well, the only biting was on the ribs we had cooked on the grill. We used shad, bluegill heads, Hoss"s Hog Bait (dip bait), and worms. Not one bite. Had a hard time catching bluegiil for bait. GUESS THAT"S WHY THEY CALL IT FISHING. Going to Prairie Lake tonight and give it a try. Not much size there but you can catch 4 - 4 lbers. Better days ahead.