Virginia gill net regulations for 2007

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by BigKahuna, Jan 25, 2007.

1. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
    Talked to Mike Johnson over at the Virginia Marine Resources Commission (757-247-2245) today regarding recreational gill net regulations for 2007 for the Tidal James. There was quite a bit of speculation that VMRC was going to outlaw those this year. Athough the regs arent posted yet, he gave me a brief overview of the requirements:

* You must be in possesion of a 'Gill net' permit.
    * Minimum 2 7/8 Stretch Mesh
    * MAX 100 yds
    * Fishermen must be with their net at all times.

Permit can be downloaded at http://www.dgif.state.va.us/forms/?type=1
    You just have to print it out and mail it in with a check for $8.00

2. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The permit on the dgif site is the wrong one for what you guys are looking for. I could be mistaken but the permit for a gill net license in the tidal rivers of va are only sold by a vmrc licensing agent. The dgif regulated permit is not for use out side of the months specified on the license and they restrict use out side of the back bay. The vmrc regulated license is what needs to be purchased.If you want to be legal!!!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I thought it was 4 inches stretched? I am ordering one this month and want to know for sure. Any help is appreciated.

4. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    Depends on time of year. 4" strecth is illegal sometime after febuary. Get the 3-3/4" stretch and you will be covered all season. Also do not exceed 100'. That 100' rule is probably going to be in the rule books soon. You will probably still be allowed to use the 300' net but only below the salt fresh line. Above that you will be required to be 100' or less..unless you have a comercial license. The rules above will only apply to the rec. license holder. Vdgif regulations do not allow the taking of fresh water fish with a gill net unless specificified in the rules for the vdgif permit. Vmrc and vdgif are putting together rules that will allow the continued taking of gizzard shad for bait with the rec license issued by the vmrc. Thanks to some loacl catfish anglers the dgif is making it legal to operate under the vmrc license.Prior to october or november it was cosidered illegal by dgif.We are all legal now and waiting for rule changes to be out. Last I heard it would be sometime in febuary.You can order the net 3-3/4 inch stretch from memphis net. Alot of people use fishnet company but they do not make any thing under 4" stretch. Good luck and good fishing!!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I sold one last year I bought from Memphis net. I screwed up and bought a nylon net that was too limp and prone to tangle. Plus at 100 feet was too long and a pain in the boat to set and pull by myself. It was a Memphis net. Nice people and make good nets cut to whatever length you ask. I am buying a monofilament net this time. Yipee!

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Do gill nets have a problem with getting all tangled up? With something that big it looks like it would tangle easily.

Wheelmobile07

7. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    I was checking out the nets on the Mephis nets web site, does anyone happen to recommend # Monofilament size (i.e. # 1.5, 3, 4, 6...12). Also, looks like they only go to 3-1/2 in sq Mesh?

8. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They have an 800 number. One of the net guys there will tell you exactly what you need after you tell him how you intend to use it.

9. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    I use the number 6 mono. 1 3/4" square. With the 3 1/2" strectch that keeps you well with in the regs. Still catches giant gizzards no problem. They still get really deep in the mesh.

10. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Any recommendations on depth? I found a 3-1/2 in sq Mesh by 6ft. Deep in the #6 monofilament? One of those in a 50 footer should do nicely I would think.

11. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    I think I got it figured out. the 1 3/4" Sqaure stretches to 3 1/2", which exceeds the minimum regs of 2 7/8" stretch mesh. Sometimes I am not as think as I smart I am.

12. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    I use a 50 ft. net and it works for me. Ive never got more than 9 shad at a time though. I think the smaller mesh sizes would work better because the head on a shad is fairly small. You dont want the shad to go to deep through the net because they become very hard to remove from the net. Ive only had one small rock fish in my net in the past year and a half. I recomend adding some extra weights to the end of the net.

13. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    How much does a good gill net cost. Planning on getting me a boat soon and realize that a gill net is a good investment.

Wheelmobile07

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
  15. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    I purchased a 50 foot length, 6-ft deep #6 monofilament 1 3/4" Sqaure (stretches to 3 1/2") ready to fish from Memphis Net for less that $50 (that includes floats and weights). You can either order online @ http://www.memphisnet.net or give them a call on their toll-free number. I ended up just calling, and it took all of 2 minutes to order. They tell you it will take aproximately 10 working days to receive shipment, once order is placed.

16. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks a lot guys. Thought that they would be more expensive than that.

Wheelmobile07

17. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When will the VDGF give the oficial gill net rules?

18. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Gill net regulations for the state of VA are established by the Virginia Marine Resource commission. maximum depth and minimum spacing requirements for gill nets can be found @ http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/fr220.shtm. I just received my net from Memphis net today. They do an excellent job. Now I need to find a Marine Resource Commission License Agent to get the Gill Net permit. The closest place I have found near the Dutch Gap, Hopewell area is in Petersburg @

T/A Dance's Sporting Goods (804) 526-8399
    570 Southpark Blvd
    Colonial Heights, VA 23834

I called them today, and they sell the gill net permits. I am headed down there this Saturday to pick up the permit, and fishing out of Dutch Gap on Sunday. Hopefully I can get some bait this time, and catch some fish. I despise the cast net. Mostly because I stink with it.

19. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Memphis net is EXPENSIVE as compared to fishnetco. If anybody is in the market for 3 1/2" stretch net, I suggest you call fishnetco. In december, I managed to convince them to order some netting in that size and hang one for me. I don't know how much they ordered, but they ordered enough to do at least a few nets. A 3 1/2" X 100' X 6' net will set you back about 40 bucks and shipping. Memphis will probably be close to double that.

By the way - if you don't have a vmrc license agent close to you, you can order the gill net license by phone. The phone number is on the vmrc website.
    /Scott

20. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Whites Hardware in Tappahannock sells gill net licences also. I bought mine there two years ago.