Virginia Deer hunter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Jun 17, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm glad to see some action in this section. I've looked at it several times and no one was posting. The only thing that gets me away from fishing is deer season. I love bow hunting more than anything. We've got some great hunting here in Virginia. I'm not very good with posting pictures but I'll try to post a couple nice bucks I got here. 209lbs.jpg

2. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    This one came in 2nd in the state with a muzzleloader the year it was entered in the state compitition. Billies9.jpg

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congradulations Flathead thats two really nice racks. Gets me in the mood to do some hunting.

4. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    Those are both very nice deer. good luck this year.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Holy Moly! Great Deer. That's it I'm going to bed now so I can get up early and grease the disc. Gona get the ground broke up for the food plots.

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    those are some great bucks! i am looking forward to bow hunting these year, myself. i used to hunt every year. i haven't bow hunted for 2 years because i hate to go by myself(hunting partner moved). my bowhunting partner just moved back here from indiana last month. so the hunt for that record pope and young buck is on again!!!

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    billie those are some real nice bucks. i really like the muzzle loader buck. somthing about the big frames and long main beams. that bow buck looks good too. hes got a little style to him. they dont get to live that long around my place which is sad. ive lived here for 7 years now and still waiting to pull the trigger on the right one. maybe this year.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice bucks man. Cant wait for deer season myself, might have to get the bow out today. Im still looking for my first bow killed buck.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Billie: nice deer, I like shotgun hunting, when deer hunting in Indiana that was the law so thats what I was use to. I don't know if it is so now. I can't walk much any more so I guess I should consider rifle deer hunting. I have done some rifle hunting out west for elk, That was a great experience. we used horses and camped, Great time. I have had so many health problems from a stroke in 1992 that a lot of things for me is like doing them for the first time and I am enjoying my outdoor endevers almost to a child like level. I recently got a new browning 12 gauge and I'm looking forward to getting it out soon.

I have been reading about bow hunting lately and have been wondering if shooting a bow at targets would be fun. I have noyiced it is something some do in their yards.

Danny.

10. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    OK, OK, you got my attention.:eek:oooh: NICE RACKS!!!! now I gotta go see if I can still pull my bow:crazy:

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey danny I shoot my bow in the back yard all the time. Just be careful there are no cars or kids anywhere around. Have a good backstop and make it bigger than youll ever need.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Now thats really neet, You can check your deer several times a year and if they look a little off you can help them along. You can with all of them together make a better decision on what deer you will leave for another year. That's great, I like seeing that some care about the animals. I bet the deer you kill each year are healthier than the average deer in your area. Good Job

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Here is another 10 pointer. Ain't the best picture but it's a big deer. About 145 P&Y. 2005_1209Image0001.jpg

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I'll try him again. 9pointmuzzle00000.jpg

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Great pictures Sam! I need to get one of those cameras. 090301tree.jpg

16. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ok willie go ahead and start bowfishing....lol...very nice bucks

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I want that tree deer in the last pic, I'd take him with my bow or muzzleloader or 30/06 or my 1998 Ford F-150, that's a heck of a deer !!!!

On the cameras, I've got 2 of the $98 Moultries that I got at WallyWorld, they do a good job for the $$. Just be sure and use a good battery in them, a $6 Duracell will out last 3-4 cheap($4) 6volt batteries, even better get a couple of rechargeable ones and a charger. The pictures I've seen and folks I've talked too that have Cuddebacks, makes me really want a Cuddeback, great cameras, but they are $350 up, I have not had any trouble out of the Moultries, trigger speed is a little slow and they like batteries, but for less than a $100 I figure they're kinda the Timex of trail cameras. Also I'm not too big on the idea of hanging a $400 camera out in the woods, I'd hate for some low life to steal one of my Moultries, but I'd hate get'n a $400 stole 4 times as bad.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    What you can't see in that picture is the other one with him that is just as good, Sam. Actually there were three of them coming thru the yard together at 9:30 on morning. That one stopped at the edge to rub and wound up pulling the whole tree up! I've got 5 P&Y bucks on the wall but I just think about all the better ones I never get a shot at. I've seen some real monsters in these hills. As a matter of fact, the day I got that big 9 point with the muzzle loader, a guy across the fence from me got a 40 pointer that is one of the biggest ever killed in Virginia.

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey billie how long is the deer season in your area? hard to believe bucks like that running around with a long season. i know there is some areas in your state that are like trophy zones or bow hunting only zones from what i hear anyway. i have hunted around south bostian a few times (dog clubs) but bucks where few and far between but it may have been the time of year(late season). those are some nice buck you have.