virgin run lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by stoney53, Oct 12, 2009.

1. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    anyone hit virgin run for channels? heard they are a nice size.. all i know is the trout were hittin real good this past weekend limited out both days and if i was dishonest could have cleaned house

2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Never heard of Virgin Run Lake, sorry. :sad2:

Ray

3. stoney53

State:
    PA
    the lake is in fayette county ,southwestern pa from what i understand a man made lake created in the 1950's

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Never hit Virgin Run But I did go to Dunlap further south and missed a nice one.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I've fished there forever. Now these days it's mainly where I stop to get bait for on the Mon. The winter Trout bite has always been excellent because the weeds are all gone. It's hard to fish in the summer because all of the weeds and the boat ramp is too shallow for my boat. I know they have stocked Channels in their for years but really haven't heard of many catches. Would like to know though I'd give it a try.

6. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Jay being the Walleye fisherman you are Dunlap has some real nice Walleyes in there. I've never fished it but I read and hear of guys cayching them accidently when Trout fishing.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah they just stocked that a little while ago with some trout. I heard they stock sauger in there but I've never been out in a boat when I was there. I'm going to have to get over there some time with the boat.

8. stoney53

State:
    PA
    dave i talked to a fish warden last weekend at virgin run said they did treat the weeds this past summer , late in the summer and that they will have the weed problem under control by next year......time will tell i guess

9. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

That's good news Frank.Maybe we can dig in there and get them cats now.:wink:

10. Mutt84

Mutt84 New Member

State:
    Alaska
    They are doing the same at Donegal Lake Frank. They have it drawn down pretty good and I guess mother nature will help kill some of them too while it's low.They even cancelled the fall stockings. They are working on the breast of the dam I guess it was in bad shape.

11. Tigercat1

Tigercat1 Guest

Is Virgin Run fishable from shore for winter trout since it has been drawn down?

12. stoney53

State:
    PA
    yep you can fish from shore although some of the shoreline is very muddy, to the point you sink in up to your knees... i've been fishing it alot and only fish from shore

13. Demented724

Demented724 New Member

State:
    Belle Vernon, P
    only catfish ive caught here were bullheads but i have heard stories about channels in it. my uncle told me he used to fish it for them all the time

14. stoney53

State:
    PA
    the lake is back to normal...i fished there alot this summer...i heard they stocked sometime in october...the last few weekends a friend has been out there and he was getting all the bluegill he could handle, but that was when we had warmer temps...

15. stoney53

State:
    PA
    no worries jay...he doesnt keep many fish at all so you should be good to go...

16. fish24/7

fish24/7 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Does anyone know if the lake is filled back up or is it still down?

17. stoney53

State:
    PA
    the lake is back to normal , was just out past there on 12/19/12 ...looks go to go

fish24/7 likes this.