vintage 5000D

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by switchback, Aug 20, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alright guys i have an old 5000D abu. One where the baitclicker is a metal slide on the lefthand side plate. It also has the magnetic control nob on the left sideplate. Its green and in very good shape. I have a few questions, 1 does anybody have any idea of the age and two its in very very good condition should I use it or put it up as an antique? Thanks for the input

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have 1 too. Not sure what year they were made. My wife's grandfather owned it and now it's in my possesion. It sits on a shelf in our cabin at the lake. Nice reel. Probably has some collector's value. I would hold onto it.:wink:

Mark.

3. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    It is an excellent reel and probably still has a lot of life left in it. They were built for the long haul. You can have it cleaned and lubed and new drag washers installed and you will be ready for the creek. If you don't feel you can do it yourself, there are plenty of good repair shops you can pick from. I have used Southwestern Sales and Service in Dallas and they do very fine work. Congrats on acquiring a fine old reel.

4. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    from the way it looks it hasnt been used much and ive already cleaned and lubed it. I found it in a nieghbors barn who doesnt fish and he let me have it becuse he knew that i would use it or put it up. It makes seven abu garcia ambassaduers for me now, actually eight i got one from my grandpa its a low profile graphite reel.

5. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh and Edward i noticed that you are always telling people to replace the washers in the abus. Whats wrong if anything with the stock ones? Just curious, like ive posted on here before i own several and was wandering if theres something that i dont know about them. I have only had one problem and that is that i have worn out the pawl on the levelwind wich is no biggie but i dont have any problem with my drag or gears or anything else. Thanks for your time and answers

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The 5000[D is a direct drive reel. It will serve you well and do a great job pulling those big one in. You have mast a good collection of reels. Its time to start getting some use out of that fine equip.:smile2:/B]

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well they all get used except the 5000D and the graphite one but the 5000D will probaly be put on a rod and used some. It sound like a really good reel and since it dont have any family ties It needs to be in action.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Nathan, I've got 3 of the old fellows and I use them quite often. My vote is to use it.

9. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Whether you use stock ABU drag washers or aftermarket washers, they are cheap enough to replace once a year when you clean the reels. I think that Smooth Drag drag washers are a great product and improve the performance of the reel. I am in no way connected to any after market parts supplier. I'm just a satisfied customer. If your drag washers get oil on them they are trashed. It's just part of my method. Once a year clean, inspect, check for any other worn parts and new drag washers. That's how I roll, others will disagree.

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I clean mine a couple times a year and replace what needs it too. I was just wandering if there was something i needed to know about them, I really like them and wan to keep them in gret shape. Thank you

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have two 5000Ds that were bought at K-Mart in 1974 for 19.95 each. You have to release the handle in order for that direct drive drag to work as long as you hold the handle the fish can't take line. What I did with
    mine is I took the sideplate with handle and star drag off of two old
    5000s and put them on the 5000Ds the reels are now half green and
    half red they are not pretty but they have a clicker and star drag.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The reel was made most likely in the 70s. It's a great reel and I'd use it. I've had to go through and replace some parts on a couple for people that have used them ALOT over the last 20 or 30 years, and they're still going strong. As far as the drag washers go, I've taken in alot of old abu reels that had been sitting for years in a closet or garage. The grease and oil in them made their way to the drag washers and ruined them. Any old abu I get I replace the drag washers, not necessarily with the smoothies, but have new ones just the same. If they look wet, then they need to be replaced.

Good luck and enjoy the new reel.

13. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This reel looke brand new inside when i had it apart, it has very little wear and tear on the outside it looks really good for the age of it. I am going to save up and get a rod for it since talking to everyone on here and give the old girl a try. THANKS TO ALL:big_smile:

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have one also if i remember right i got this reel about1976