Vine borers

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by JAinSC, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    OK, so I think we pretty much settled the hornworm/sphinx moth question, now can I ask about vine borers?

The darn things have killed all of my cucumbers! The borers killed one vine. The others were OK for a few weeks and had started producing real well, but now they are all dieing except one. I have a feeling that one won't last long.

As a teen I grew tons of cukes in New England and never had a problem. Down her in SC the borers have been wiping me out.

It's too late for this year, but is there anything I can do to save my cucumbers from the vine borers?

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Spray with that liquid stuff you mix with water. I had to hit my squash, pumpkins, pickles and potatoes with it twice. First there were these little jumping bugs that were eating all the leaves up. I sprayed the ground around the hills too.

Stuff is in any garden center, WalMart etc. It says it kills about 120 different bugs. Costs about 10 dollars a quart. But you only use a few tablespoons of it to a sprayer full of water.

Them jumping bugs quit jumping real quick when I sprayed. They quit eating the leaves and the plants really took off, like they were extremely stressed with their leaves being ate.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Jim. I guess I'll have to try it next year. Just got back from vacation and the whole mess of cucumbers are dead...

4. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I agree, use the seven liquid and mix it. I grew cucumbers in South carolina for years and didnt have a problem with the dang burrowers. But now here and florida they wreck havoc. But I tell you what. One week I sprayed fertilizer on my plants and the took off, a few days later dang bugs everywhere. I sprayed once with the seven and it was good night to the bugs.

5. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    John- think you and I live in the same area. I'm in Ladson. Had the same problem this year and tried the liquid 7. Works great if you catch them in time, but I wanted to let you know it's not too late to replant. I'll be planting my fall garden this week. Squash, cukes, okra, tomatoes, and my first age of cabbage, turnips and collards. I do this every year and usually make as good a crop as in the spring, right up till the first frost. Give it a shot and you will be plesantly supprised.