Video of Markland Dam Gate Breaking

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Scott C., Sep 29, 2009.

1. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    Check this out - kudos to the Capt'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsf6u8fGzo

The downriver gate breaks when a barge is in the lock and water is raised. I'm sure the video doesn't do it justice. I'd sh*t myself if I was in there with my boat when this happened...:embarassed:

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the water didnt drop like i thought it would have. but man that was still some scary shite!

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im thinking your right..vid seemed uneventful but i bet they knew otherwise:smile2:

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I also figured it would be more dramatic. Well I hope they get it fixed.

5. Beacher

Beacher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Could not imagine being in there when it broke wonder if it gave any warning if you would of had time to cut ropes if you were tied off i can just picture in my head a boat hanging on the side of the wall!!!:0a35:

6. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    Locks have floating tie-offs. Water up, tie-off up. Water down, tie-off down.

I'm guessing the video description is just wrong.

If you tied off on the wall, you'd sink when the water came up. From what I've seen, lockmasters watch where you tie off and don't do anything until you do it right.

7. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    That water came down a lot faster than I'd want to see. You can see the speed of the drop toward the left lock wall. Me and my 16 footer would have been a scary ride.:eek:oooh:

I wish they had a camera on the stern, that would be fun to watch!

Oh, and I guess that goes to show why they make you tie off instead of let you free float.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Beacher im sure u have locked through enough to see that the tie offs go up and down with the water....and what would have been real scary is if you were on the other side of the gate waiting to go into the chamber next and all that water come rushing towards u! :0a20::0a17:

9. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Well, you know what they say at times like this,,, but I better not use that kinda language... :eek:oooh:

10. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    WOW!!!

I guess it could have been a lot worse though. This is one reason we don't tie off we just throw our rope around the tie offs and we can get off quick if we need to.