Vic's boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by flying_v_64, Dec 29, 2008.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I purchased an old ski boat earlier this year and I want to somehow convert it into a fishing boat.

It's a 17' 1986 Sting Ray Super Sport with an OMC cobra stern drive I/O.
    I had the engine tuned up a couple of months ago and it runs well.

There are quite a few blisters in the gelcoat but i'm not too concearned with that. There are a couple of places that have small chips above the water line that need filled and finished. I wnt to add a keelguard later.

The interior will be the biggest challenge. The driver and passenger seats are rotted "back to back" style seats that I want to replace with single captains chair type seats to create more room.
    The floor seems to be rigid with no noticeable rot. I am going to replace the carpet and some vinyl to spruce it up as well as the side panels up.
    The front interior has 2 bench style seats that run from the front window to the tip of the boat. One of those seats have a lift-up top with a cooler underneath. This looks like the best area to engineer a live well of some type. The frame of these seats look to be fiberglass and may take some thinking to work out.

The trailor was pretty rusty bit i've sanded and primed the frame. I'm now debating on the frame color. New wheel bearings and tires were installed.

This is the only photo I have. I'll take more photo's as soon as I can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated during this rebuild. I am a boat virgin so i'll need the help. Thanks everybody!
    Vic
    :wink::smile2::0a22:

Attached Files:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Vic coverting the cooler to a bait tank sounds like a good idea to me i know there will be uthers chime in on this but if my old boat had the same feacher thats what i would do to i think that boat will serve you well at least you got a good motor thats a big big plus good luck brother get us some pics look hoos talking i gota do same thing lol

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Looks like you have a nice starting point, its a sharp looking boat, and looks nice and deep also. I restored my Deep V when I got it and that was one of the best parts of getting a new boat. Being able to customize it to your liking. Good luck and let me know if I can do anything to help.:wink:

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It will make a GREAT Cat boat, I built one out of a 22 ft. Starcraft and loved it. Should have not sold it !

5. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I want to attach a trolling motor to my boat. Does anybody know if a trolling motor will work well with a deep "vee" styles?

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've got one on a deep V Lund. What kind of boat are you talking about?

7. outdoorX

outdoorX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    word of advice it probly has a ply wood floor covered with a carpet or thing coat of fiberglass. make sure your floor is good. i started doing the same thing you are doing an found out my boat was worthless to even start with. but i learned alot an the boat was a gift so not to much lost.

8. Lightnin_lane

Lightnin_lane New Member

State:
    tennessee/
    hey man it looks like you got a great project ahead of you. Bet it sure makes a good'un. Well, if it were me, id go ahead and put my livewell in the cooler too. Now im not sure that you know but you may, cabelas sells a couple different livewells that you just put where ever you want in your boat for a really good price. you can get the livewell and pump and basicly everything you need for it for under 175.00. that may be something that you would be interrested in so you can keep the cooler a cooler. As for the trolling motor. Im pretty sure they make a long shaft trolling motor and that would work fine. or you could put a bracket on the back of the transom and put one on there. ive seen this before and i dont really recommend it but it is still an option. Well brother i hope this helps you some. Good luck and Id like to see some pics of the finished product or even along the way. ​

9. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Bluejay it's a 1986 Stingray ski boat. 17.5' long. I want to convert into a cat-boat.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have a Motor Guide on my 19.5 foot deep V, you are probably gonna have to get atleast a 48 inch shaft. My boat sits about 3ft out of the water and it works just fine. It looks like you have a walkthrough area in the front. Mine was like that, and when I did the rebuild I turned the front into a deck, alot easier for running a trolling motor, throwing a cast net, etc..Thats a nice looking boat and I am sure it will turn out great.:wink:

11. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    travis that's a great idea with turning the front into a deck. Do you have pictures of that? or maybe some instruction of how I need to go about the build? Thanks!

12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice lookin' boat Vic. Should give ya plenty of fishing years. Go get them Cats.....