Vibrations from your heart beat.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Love Them Cats, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I was told many years ago not to hold your pole because the fish could sense your heart beat through your fishing line and stay away from your bait?

Is this true?

I usually use a pole holder or stick to hold my poles, and sometimes when I'm getting a good bite, I like to hold the pole so I can feel what the fish is doing and I'll be ready to set the hook.

Are they able to sense your heart beat through the line and does it make any difference in catching them?

Ken

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have never heard this. I have sat with my pole in my lap many of nights. Especially when I am channel cattin and real tired. Keeps em from going in the water. LMAO

3. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've held the pole many times myself, especially at night?

Sometimes when I'm getting a good bite, I'll hold the pole and the fish will keep biting at it, then other times, they just stop?

When I do pick up my pole, I make sure I don't disturb the line so it won't scare the fish?

I thought about it tonight and was just wondering if it had any effect on the fish?

Ken

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never heard that but i was taught to open the bail are freespool the line before I moved the rod. For what reason I have no idea. I don't have to do that though since circle hooks came out.

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    When drifting in the current I always hold my rod. Always catch fish too (well a lot of times I do :roll_eyes:). Not sure there's anything to that one.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Never heard that before.. Sounds "Fishy" to me..

7. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    If your fishing with live bait I would't think they could, maybe cut bait, I still would't worry about it, just have fun and fish.

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    With all the other vibrations in the water I don't see how that would make a difference.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Bull---- I dont believe that for a second. holding your pole you might move the bait a bit especally if your as unsteady as me and that might deture a bite or it could cause a strike. but a heart beat :lol: :crazy:

10. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I smell Bull- When I bass fish (flipping a work lizard or etc.) you always have the pole in your hand. I bet you like to reel in your line a lot as a child because that sounds like something i would say to one of the boys i take fishing..."Don't be so loud the fish can hear you", "Stop moving around the fish can sence the vibration".LoL

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My dad use to tell me that, but I think it was to make me be patient and leave the bait where it was long enough to get a bite.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think the main reason for this is so that you won't yank the bait around. A fish sensing your heartbeat on the other end of the line???? I rather doubt it, but then I know I don't know everything.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Was thinking more about this. If that was true, nobody in a boat with pole holders would ever catch a fish.. Think about all the movement and little noises you make just sitting.. That would get transmitted through the boat and down the pole.. If they could "sense" or "feel" you heartbeat, you can bet they would feel EVERYTHING else...

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i checked my crystle ball, well the little 8 ball that you shake up and ask it a ? and it said doubtful

15. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i've never heard that....if that was true it would be impossible to catch baby bluegill....i put my rods in a holder and pick em up when the get a bump...and it usually works for me

16. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I have seen shallow water fish spook/run, on me clearing my throat and/or coughing. And, I have seen many shallow water fish spook and run when a heavy footed angler approaches the edge of the water. And, have seen them spook/run when tackle boxes etc etc (close to the bank) are slammed shut etc etc.

Just my two cents worth and what I have not just heard but experienced as well, in my 50 plus years of fishing. I still believe in being as quiet as possible. But, I don't know about the heart beat thing.

17. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I was told that a lot as a kid. I think it was a trick used by parent(s) to make the kids leave the pole in the water. Years later, I find the fish hearing has deminished considerably. I hold my line quite often and still manage to catch a few. Bolderdash & Bunkem...just short of NOT!
    Don

18. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think the funniest thing I have seen in a long time was about a month and a half ago. I was standing at the bank and had been standing there really still for about 15 minutes. I ended up letting out a pretty loud belch and a good sized carp took off from right in frnt of me. Startled me a bit, but then again I think he was pretty startled too.

19. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I had my bait setting about forty yards out and in 30 foot of water, when all of a sudden i heard one cat say to another one, "hey you hear Dick's heart beating, maybe we should yank on his line and make him think he has caught something". As you can tell I don't put much into this idea. If they are right by the bank they can probably hear or see you but ten feet out and ten deep, I doubt it. Of course this is only my opinion which only matters to me.

20. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That sound like bull!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Catfish are on big nose. Heck they might even like the vibrations.

I listen to the radio and run 2 latterns while fishing. I just cast further.lol

Josh