VHF Radio?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Dec 19, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I know this is a long shot, but can I use a Motorola TalkAbout 250 (walkie talkie) as a VHF or to communicate with the Lock & Dam's?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    They will not Tx/Rx on the correct frequencies. Gonna have to break down and buy a VHF Marine Radio or pull the chain to lock through.

3. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Hand Held VHF are cheap......and the L&D will like you a lot better for having one. Plus you can hear or listen to the barge traffic and get a good idea as to when you can lock thru...I have called the L&D from as far as a mile out and just had them call me when they where ready for me to lock thru.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd go ahead and get a permanent-mount radio. They are still $100 or less. You'll have to buy an antenna of course, $25 - $60 or so depending on the model but you'll have better range, plus it is always handy, plus it runs off the boats batteries.

You'll also get WX radio on these which is nice (hand-helds have that also) and are good to have in an emergency.

Another safety factor is that you can wire these to your GPS system which enables your boat to transmit position data when you hit the distress button.

Lots of other good reasons to go with a permanent system that I haven't covered.

For the one-time cost, you cannot go wrong. Less than $150 total.

5. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas

All good points and I agree 100%....but a hand held has it's place also...

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes they do, didn't mean to sound like I was knocking them.:embarassed: