VHF radio

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    How many of you SC folks have VHF radios on their boats? I want to get one, but need some input as to which one is the best for my needs at a price I can work with. I imagine a console mounted radio would be a better choice than a handheld, due to more power and an antennae. Any input would be appreciated. I can mount the antennae on top of my enclosure that we are going to build.

Bill in SC

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I have a unit that I bought 5 or 6 years ago and it still works just fine. I don't have the long whip antenna, just a shorter one that is mounted on my center console grab rail with a swivel mount so I can turn it down out of the way when it's under the shed or not in use.
    The one I have is an ICom M45A and wasn't too much more than $100 at the time. The newer ones have the capability to read the coordinates from your gps in case you have to broadcast a mayday, but I don't have that. I don't think there's a lot of difference in the basic functions between brands, myself, but there are a lot of options out there. I use it for weather updates, or to locate Roundhill, :wink: as much as anything else, even though I have weather on my cell phone.
    You can get some good info at http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...tView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001

3. Larry D

Larry D New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bill, I have the cobra that BPS sell and I like it pretty well. The big thing is to get a good antana ,most of the time the antena and mount is as much as the radio.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Bill, Gander Mountain on line has what I think is deal. radio, antenna and mount but is 8 foot fiberglass antenna $134.00 + tax and shipping. As tommy said there is all kinds out there been wanting me one and the GM one looks like best deal.:wink:

5. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have a Standard Horizan unit that was about $100 and it works great with a metal whip antenna. Dont spend more that about $100, all the others have options you wont use.

6. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    i have one on my boat, not sure what it is came with boat, but every time i turn it on no body on there. what channel are you all on?

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I have the Uniden Oceanus DSC,it runs about $125,great radio,mostly use it for the weather and chatting with friends,it has the Distress,GPS compatible,like Billfish76 said,alot of stuff you want really need,but nice to have if you need it.Just remember,the radio is only gonna be as good as your antenna,I would go with the cheaper model radio and higher end antenna.
    Most people use channel 69.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    ".....How many of you SC folks have VHF radios on their boats?...."

I know that Billfish76, Marty Green, Mudkip, and myself talk regularly on marine band VHF radios while fishing.

The radios offer a couple of nice features. Emergency communications on lakes like Santee Cooper is nice, and it also is important when fishing near the coast. Not only are other anglers listening, but also the Coast Guard and Emergency Management officials. Even on Lake Wylie you can call the York County Comm. Center.

The weather radio feature is also nice. You can stay abreast of what is happening now, and get forecast for the next several days.

The other nice thing is that you can talk back and forth with other anglers that are out fishing on the same lake. Billfish76, Mudkip, Marty Green, and myself do this regularly on Santee, Wateree, and Wylie.

You can get a good radio for about $125.00, and you should expect to spend $60-$125 on a quality antenna. Remember, the antenna is worth as much, and as important as, the radio.

Bill, a man that has won as much money as you have recently in tournaments should not bat an eye at a marine band radio......:smile2:

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill Boaters World is going out of buisness so you might could find a steal on there web site. I have a $100 radio from BPS on my boat and havent had any problems out of it but I maily just use it for the weather. I rarelly to never use mine. Cell phones closed that market down I reckon.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Channel 69 is the common channel on most lakes.....GO FIGURE! :eek:oooh::tounge_out::roll_eyes::smile2:

Most radios can be set up to scan the marine band frequencies, and most radios have a built in weather radio which is a PLUS! :wink:

11. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Are vhf, cb's and walkie talkies all unable to talk to each other?

Because I have some walkie talkies at work that have about a million channels and a 20 mile range.

12. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    cb is 27 mhz vhf is 160 mhz so not even close. the frs frq that most walkietalkies use are vhf but not compatable with marine. i sell cobra mrf55 for $129 and the 3' stainless ant for $39 if ur interested. ant comes with a 90 deg mount that works great for most lake or river boats. offshore i'd recomend a nice 8' ant with copper elements as the range will be better but they are expensive and normally not necessary for freshwater. i use the 3' most of the time even on my offshore rig as i don't venture that far.

13. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The only thing about cell phones VS a radio is if you grab the radio to call for help in a panic you have many diffrent poeple to hear you. Where as a cell phone, well they might not be home:eek:oooh:

14. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i have one on my boat i think it,s a garmin ,but it,s a good saftey feature to have i also fish saltwater to living in wilm.n.c.