Veterans Sound Off

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Jun 1, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was just wondering how many veterans or familys of veterans we have in here.
    Sound off with your years of service, unit, or ship and any commendations you, your fathers, mothers, sons, or daughters may hold.
    My Grandfather was in the Army during WW1...don't know what unit
    My Dad was on a Destroyer during WW2 (1940-68) and Commander of a Sub after that....Rank=Captain
    my Brother-in-Law did 4 tours in Nam 1967-1971...Army Sargent
    I was in the Navy during Viet Nam (1968-1971) DLG6 Farragut

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My dad was a guard over German POWs at Camp Forrest, Tennessee. I was born in the base hospital there. I spent a little over 10 years in the Air Force. Deputy Commander of a Titan II ICBM launch crew at Little Rock AFB, then a nuclear launch codes custodian for Minuteman II ICBMs at Malmstrom AFB, Montana and Vandenberg AFB, California. My oldest daughter was born in the base hospital at Malmstrom; my youngest daughter in the base hospital at Vandenberg.

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I spent 23 years, 8 months and 11 days in the Air Force. I retired exactly one year ago today. I served in Operation Desert Shield/Storm and Operation Provide Comfort. I lived in a tent for 6 months on the football field at Homestead AFB, after hurricane Andrew (Operation Coral Relief). Was stationed at: Tyndall AFB, FL. Little Rock AFB AR. Osan AB. ROK. Whiteman AFB, MO. Became a recruiter and was stationed at: Johnson City, TN; Nashville, TN; Warner Robins AFB, GA; and Montgomery. AL. All told I was deployed to, or assigned to temporary duty in 35 countries. I’ve been on every continent except Antarctica.
    Now I live 7 miles outside of a town of 2700. I sometimes go weeks without hearing an airplane. Ain’t life grand?

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't go there, my service in 69,70,71, was a bad time in my life and still is.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Father was in Navy
    Mother was in Navy
    Both older brothers were Navy
    (Can you see where this is heading LOL)
    I retired from Navy Reserves last sept did 9 years active and 12 Reserve.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    4 Years in the USMC, they gave me E-4 on my way out the door, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Ribbon, War on Terror Ribbon, I was pending 2 Navy Achievment Medals when I got out and have never followed up on it. I served with 8th Motor Transport Battalion, 2nd and 3rd Transportation Support Battalion. Stationed in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Camp Foster, Okinawa, Japan. Had Training Excercises at Fort Bragg, NC, 29 Palms, CA, Ie Shima, Okinawa, Japan, Shoalwater Bay Training Area, Queensland, Austraila. I was on Okinawa when the WTC were attacked. I have no regrets joining the service and may have been the motivation behind some of my close friends joining.

Aaron Drier

TA2D

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I bet no one will top mine for their grandpa... my grandpa fought in the Civil War, wounded at Gettysburg.

I'm a Korean Vet, enlisted right after my 17th birthday.

Here is an early thread on almost the same subject.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    17 years and 2 months with the US Army Airborne Special Operations Command 5th, and 7th Special Forces also did a tour with the 1st 504 INF 82nd Airborne Division and some time with the coat and tie guys. Retired 1 April 1998

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Spent my time in the Army.
    dad was in the navy during Korea.
    I've traced my Dad's side of the family all the way back to the 1600's.
    We've had a Sword in every conflict/war that the US has ever engaged in.
    Very proud of my history.

10. suddawg

suddawg New Member

7 years today, Air Force. Security Forces
    5 deployments (on my fifth right now)

And yep, TA2D motivated me to enlist in the military. That and college was going no where at the time (no discipline.)

SudDawg

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    just wanted to thank you guys for your service to this country especially you vietnam vets, i've never heard of a tougher time. god be with you all the rest of your lives

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    SudDawg, you still don't have any disipline in your "NASTY LITTLE BODY" to quote one of my DI's

Aaron

TA2D

13. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    3rd infantry division -- 3-7th cav Ft Stewart GA. 6yrs. GARRY OWEN

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My dad's father was part of the landing at Iwo jima (U.S. Army)
    My mom's father served in the Korean war. (U.S. Army)
    2 uncles served in Vietnam (U.S. Navy and Air Force)
    1 uncle served in Operation Desert Storm (U.S. Navy SeaBee)
    Me...15yrs and counting VMA-214 Blacksheep, OIF 1 & 2, most likely going back in December (U.S. Marine Corps)

15. finallyright2003

finallyright2003 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was blessed to be inthe United States Marine Corps for six years.
    E-4, 0847 Field Artillery Surveyor.
    And I regret ever leaving.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You didn't leave Rodney "Once a Marine always a Marine".:smile2:

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You got that right Jim.:wink:

18. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    My great grandfather on my dad's side was in the royal hungarian guard.
    My grandpa on my dad's side served in WWII.
    My grandpa on my mom's side was in the air force and stationed in nevada during the 50's (I think). He mysteriously died of "cancer" in his mid twenties when she was three!
    My Father was in the 7/17th Air Cavalry and went to Vietnam in Feb. '67 and spent 3 years there( He volunteered, lied about his age and somehow got away with it. He was seventeen when he joined) He past away a few years back of cancer. His civilian doctors said his form of cancer was common with vets exposed to agent orange. The doctors at the vet hospital concluded that it was not and after a short inquiry some gov't official said that agent orange was not used during his time there. He said they were full of you know what.
    One uncle on my dad's side was EOD in the air force and went to vietnam in the late 60's.
    My other uncle on my dad's side was also in the air force, spent his tour during vietnam at a base where they sent troops for R&R. Lucky S.O.B my dad used to say!
    My step-sister did something in the air force, she cross-trained three times. At one time she was a linguist. I think that's how you spell it.
    I was in the 47th security police squadron(now security forces). Was a dog handler and spent a little time in Cuba baby sitting (Detainees/refugees).

19. Do you think any of us had any real disipline in our bodies through our short military careers? I may have once in a while, but I realized that wouldn't make me a better person and I certainly wouldn't have been popular with the ladies.

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hdqtrs troop, 3/7th cav. , 65-67, Schweinfurt, Germany. Gary Owen