Veterans-I Need Some Help

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TxRiverman, Jul 5, 2006.

1. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    My Dad is a retired Army vet who also is disabled,hes getting ready to retire from his civilian job soon and want to travel around in his RV. My question is do the Army Corps parks allow disabled to stay at the parks for free? If yall have any info that might help me with this i would appreciate it. Thanks Tx.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Aaron,

Thats a good question, here in Ohio where they want everylast dollar you make I would doubt it LOL. I know if you are a disabled Vet for Ohio at least you can get Free fishing lic (not sure about out of state tho). Some states may do this but I really dont think Ohio would I would have to research some.

Here is the licensing info.
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/FAQs/fishfaq.htm

I emailed ODNR with these questions specificly Ill let you know what I get back.

I have 2 questions
    1. If you are from another state but still a disabled Vet is your license free if not how much does it cost.
    2. The same question for fishing but for Camping, I noticed that it says you have to have an Ohio License Plate with the symbol would that be the same for any state?

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Thanks Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gosh I don't now for sure. But I have some retired military frinds that have R Vs and they get a discount. And by the way thank your father for his service to our country from me OK. God Bless and keep safe. Also Ill bet your Dads Proud of you Son!!! J.D Straka AKA Bigcatman0816.:smile2:

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not quite sure, but I happen to fish an Army Corps of Engineers lake and hear the radio updates they have. For mor information you can go to their web site at www.reserveusa.com

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Aaron, they don't get in for free in Texas brother.

7. suddawg

suddawg New Member

This might be old news to your father, but most military bases have cheap RV camp sites. I know down at Maxwell AFB, in Montgomery Alabama they had all the electrical hookups, showers, and right by the base lake. Although you had to deal with C-130s taking off every now and then.

Needless to say the base lake RV sites were allways full of retirees. Allways had fun listening to war stories while fishing with one of them.

SudDawg

8. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Golden access if disabled and golden passport if retired allow you to pay 1/2 price for campsites in most parks. Might want to check into them.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    In addition to the 1/2 price discount at COE campgrounds, some state campgrounds give a similar discount. To get the discount at Arkansas State Campgrounds, you need to get a letter from the VA stating that you are 100% disabled; the VA has drafted a special letter just for that purpose.
    Oh yeah, the TVA campgrounds also have the same 50% discount.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am a disabled vet and last month stayed at a park for one of our gatherings, I think it was a state run park. They charged me half price. I also have a card issued by the federal governament that gives me 50 % camping at national parks and campgrounds it also gives me free day use. The card is called GOLDEN ACCESS PASSPORT. it is good for life. you must apply in person and call before you go and ask what paperwork they want. If camping very much it could save you hundreds or even more over time. The card is also good at all TVA campgrounds.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Aaron here is the reply I got from ODNR

Dear Mr. Ryan,

To be eligible to apply for a free Ohio license you would need
    to be a Resident of Ohio
    Thank you for contacting Ohio State Parks. I have also forwarded your
    email to the Division of Wildlife regarding the fishing license. You
    must be an Ohio resident to receive the Disabled Veteran/POW discount.
    If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us again.