Veterans and the 4th of July

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    The 4th is always a special holiday for me. I think about our vets and current forces even more on the 4th than I do on memorial day. The 4th is all about freedom, and you can't have freedom without the men and women that have sacrificed for us.
    Thank God for our past and present heroes.
    As most of you know, my dad died recently. this is my first 4th without him, and when that day rolls around I always reflect on the wars my father risked his life in, as did so many fine men and women.
    I would like for all past and present forces to post here so that I and others if they choose, can express our gratitude for them. Plus rep for you, and I don't mean that in a lighthearted manner - I truly am grateful for your service.
    May God bless you all.

2. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Well said the 4th has always been my favorite holiday.

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    thanks Phil. I'm a vet of the first gulf war...and i wish i was over in Iraq right now...but there's that age thing!

I'm sorry bout your father...sincerely...the circle of life is hard to deal with at times.

I spent about 10 years in a row...camping in the mountains of the USA. There is no other country in the world that i could simply "disappear" and not worry about my home bein blown up..my government being thrown over..sheesh i could go on and on.

We live in the greatest country in the world..the greatest country that has ever existed....yet so many people just don't get it.

peace to you my friend!

cyas
    robert

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My dad died 2 weeks ago tomorrow. He was a marine in WWII and a great man. I had a really hard time in my war. I came home in 1971 and nobody had anything good or nice to say to us, Many times our own families were ashamed of us and some people would spit on the ground in front of you. I couldn't find a job until I quit telling people who I was. I left where I grew up and wondered the country for 20 years. My stepdad helped me find my way back and I will always remember him. He thought as you do and I guess I also do. The 4th of July wouldn't mean a thing without the ones that made us free. We wouldn't have a country if not for the Veterans.

My hats off to all the Vets.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I also would like to say a big thanks to those in the service and all veterans for keeping this country free

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Phil your words are words of honor and very well put. I am sorrowed with the lose of the loved one here and I know it is hard. I offer any support I can give to any here that have lost loved ones. And as a vet I would like to thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Phil you are a very honnorable man.

7. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I want to take a second and say Thanks for those in the service and all the veterans that have helped keep this country free.God bless you all...

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I my self am not a Vet ,but have the deepest respect for all Vets past and present. And yes Phil you are a very honerable man. I will have to agree that the4th of July is one of the best hoildays.And any of you who served in Nam I salute you also ,you all didn't ask for that conflect and you sure didn't deserve to be treated the way you was when you came back home. So many didn't make it home including a friend of mine from over home.Your just now beginning to get the credit your intitled to. (Least I hope So ) My hat is off to you guys.

9. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil,

I understand the pain of your father's passing, mine went to the Lord in December of 2003. They are good to go now and we will see them again.

I had the honor of serving in the US Army with so many good comrades for almost 22 yrs. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I am blessed in so many ways I cannot count. And yes, God bless those that are now serving in all parts of the world.

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i know good and well we have more vets in here.

where are you folks?

11. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I served in the regular Army, and the National Guard in several states. Age prevented me from going back in after 9/11. I did not see any combat, but I am proud to have served, and to have been friends with TRUE heroes who gave all they had for our country and our freedom. Phil, thanks for starting this thread so that we can all remember those who have, and will, guarantee our freedom, and that of our children.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    USN - 1984 - 1987
    USN - 1989 - 1995
    USNR - 1995 - 2005

Woooooooooweee Retired, now I just have to wait till Im 60 to collect LOL. Had a great time serving and a lot of underway time overseas.

13. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Great post Phil.
    I to wish to extend my thanks to our past and present Vets. I left the Corp due to medical. If I could do it all over again I would in a heart beat.

14. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Grand-dad - WWI.
    Dad - WWII, Europe. Wounded 11 times, came home with 3 bullets still in him; 2 next to his heart, 1 next to his spinal column.
    Uncle Bill - retired from the Army.
    Uncle Dewey - Retired from the Navy.
    My brother Bobby - Army, Europe.
    Me - Army, vietnam. Schrapnel in my legs and one good ding to the head.
    My son J.T. Army Reserve, Iraq. No wounds, either physical or mental, Thank God!

My thanks to you, Phil, for your post.

Have a nice day.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It matters not that you did not serve in combat, you served and that is what matters. some are in combat and others do things to help the ones in combat do their job.

I don't like the fact that people who served in combat are treated more special.

I was standing in line one day at the VA hospital with many others and a guy said I wish I had a purple card. I ask why and he said that the purple card guys get treated better and quicker because they had combat service, as it turned out he was almost correct, it did mean service connected. I just thought it was wrong to treat some veterans better than others.

In my book a veteran is a vereran.

16. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Addendum to my last post: I forgot my Uncle Karl, one of the greatest tall tale tellers (liars) who ever lived. He told us kids an amazing war story.

His name is Karl Lau, he spoke German fluently, and was missing his left arm. He told us kids that my dad shot off his arm in combat, then stopped the bleeding, and carried him to a field hospital for treatment. He said that my dad felt so bad about shooting off his arm, that, after the war was over, my dad helped him come to the states and introduced him to my Aunt Lois. Wedding bells soon after.

We found out later that Uncle Karl was in the US Army, was born in Ohio, and lost his arm in an accident, after the war. The only truth to the matter was the introduction to my aunt. It's amazing what a kid will believe!

Uncle Karl is in his 80's now and still spinning yarns. I love him dearly.

Have a nice day.

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I should have added
    Dad - Navy
    Mom - Navy
    Oldest Brother - Navy
    Sister - Army (What was she thinking LOL)
    Second Oldest Brother - Retired Navy
    Me - Navy

On my wifes side
    Grandfather - Navy
    Dad - Navy
    Brother - Navy

Do you all see a pattern here?

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Phil, thanks for starting this thread.

Myself, Korean war, USAF 1952 to 1956.
    My brother was WW2, USN.

That's one thing I like about going to shows at Branson.. they always recognize the veterans during the show.

Thanks to all serving today and to all veterans, God Bless them all.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sir, I want to thank you and the many who served with you for your sacrifice. It has always bothered me when I try to imagine how it must have felt for our vets returning from Vietnam only to face such opposition as you all did. I have heard all sorts of stories from that era, including the whole Jane Fonda incident. She will always be a trader in my opinion (sorry if that offends anyone). When my unit returned from OIF I and OIF II, we got a very good welcome home. That was extremely important for us to know our fellow Americans supported us despite the things we heard or read about concerning certain celebraties. You and America's vets have certainly paved the way for this generation's troops, sailors and, soldiers. Thank You.

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Tatersalad, as you already know, serving in combat is not of importance. During your service, I am sure that you helped to train many and influence even more. Those things are of more value than you might realize. Please dont sell yourself short. You are a TRUE hero.