Veteran Skipjackers

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Cheez, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have a question for the veteran skipjack fishermen(women). This year the skipjacks are showing up several weeks later than last year at the Tennessee River dams like Guntersville,Nickajack,Chickamauga and Watts Bar. There are far fewer fish as well. Reports that I have heard from seasoned catmen are that what skips are there are difficult to impossible to catch. A friend was at Nickajack Dam yesterday and said that the fish were jumping but would not hit hardly anything. Last year was my first year chasing them but it was easy to catch all we wanted using just about any lure we threw.
    Has anyone seen this before and what was the remedy?
    Thanks

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Try a tiny itsy bitsy red white extra small tube jig 1/32 4 to a line....with a round split shot at the bottom work them fast on top...they were slow to show up here to but they finally arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tounge_out::wink::eek:oooh: and were on them...if you see them busting the surface...you can catch them....just a matter of right color and speed....when there bustin keep that baby cookin on top!!!!!!

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think river conditions and weather paterns are the reason for their late arrival. They will pick up soon, hang in there!!!!

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I think that they follow the baby shad. I still go with a Sabiki rig. The small silver ones seem to work best around here.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    try a different retrieve, rather than casting and reeling in, cast out and let the jig or spoon sink, then retrieve some and let it sink again, repeat this action. Had this happen to me at Barkley dam and the skipjacks would only hit the jig on the fall.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I agree that the skips are just adjusting to weather patterns and will be late arrivals to the normal spots. Most fishing reports this year talk of much different patterns in all fish this year.