Very rare bowfin capture

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by catmanjake, Jun 1, 2008.

1. catmanjake

catmanjake New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    today when i woke up i went out ate breakfast on the back porch. i looked toward the creek and noticed some large looking carp going upstream.
    i was down there fishing almost as soon as i was done eating. i rigged up 4 rods.
    my uglystik equiped with my brand new abu garcia revo, was rigged with a running rig and a leech.
    my new slab seeker crappie rod was rigged with a float and a jig with crawlers.
    my dam green cross power rod was rigged with a bolt rig and R&W carpjuice glowbait flavor maize on a hair.
    and my cheaper shakespeare rod was rigged with a jig and some gulp maggots.
    within minutes after dropping in my ugly stick rod i had a run! once i landed the fish i dropped down the next rod (slab seeker).
    turns out to be this beautiful common!
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h253/Cockatiel_557/aesaew014.jpg
    after releasing the common i noticed my float was gone! i set the hook. dopped down my DAM green cross power carp rod. the fish turned out to be a small male bowfin :)
    [​IMG]
    after realeasing the 'fin the fish seemed to disappear. after waiting for about 30 minutes the fish started getting more active again. shortly afterward i hooked up with a small hardfighting fish
    turned out to be a brown bullhead! my first and another species for the ultimate season.
    [​IMG]
    then i had to go to town with my family to pic up some flowers for my moms garden. i had no choice.
    i had to change before we left.
    when i got back i went back to fishing.
    about 15 minutes after i casted. i was hooked up with a hard fighting fish with my revo. obviously a carp. after landing the fish i set in the other rod. as i was taking the pic of the fish my bait clicker on the quickfinnessa started going off. i set the hook on another nice carp. i figured it wouldnt matter so i just put down my cheap shakespeare rod. while i was still fighting the carp my other rod started going out. i set the hook and turned the drag. and i landed the first carp then went to the other.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the next fish was on the float a nice bullhead.
    [​IMG]
    the fishing slowed down so i went downstream i found a nice backwater area with a muddy bottom and surrounded by cattails. many carp were mudding a long the cattails. i fished there for an hour i caught many bullhead but no carp. i kept 10 out of the 20+ i caught
    [​IMG]
    i went back upstream and then i put a minnow on my float rod. within 5 minutes my float shot away and my rod went flying in the water. i managed to get a hold of the rod before it was pulled out farr enough so i would have to wade in the water to get it.
    after a LONG HARD fight i landed this beautiful female bowfin. :D
    i unhooked her and put on a new minnow and recasted
    [​IMG]
    about half an hour after releasing her my float slarted jiggling. then it layed flat. i figured a small crappie or bass. i set the hook. the fish went crazy! i seen it a few times. and it was small and had a long cylinder shapped and was black, a snakehead?!?!? after a little longer i landed the fish.
    it was a bowfin!!! it was a very rare melanistic male!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after releasing him i ut my float back out and waited. after a while i dozed off for a bit. when i woke up my foat was gone. i set the hook and the fish was still there. i landed it a nice common carp on a minnow :) the fish was barely hooked so it must have just taken the bait.
    [​IMG]

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD DAY AT THE OFFICE,NICE PIC'S KEEP UP THE GOOD FISHINS LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE THE PIC OF YOUR BIG FISH YOUR GOING TO CATCH

GOOD LUCK FISHING:big_smile:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    What a productive day, I couldnt get a bug to bite me this weekend.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks for sharing the pics. pretty cool story. :big_smile:

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like a great day! thx for sharing the pics n play by play.

6. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like you had a great day. I wish i had a creek that clear here in illinois, all ours are muddy, especially with all the rain we keep getting. Ive had a few trips like that on a creek not a mile from my house, catching carp, bullheads, and bowfin. We do on occasion catch a nice channel cat or drum.

Congrats

7. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Excellent job Jake...keep the pics and stories coming. :wink:

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    dumb question...whats a bowfin?

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    those are some big fish for that little creek. i sure wish i had water like that in my back yard :roll_eyes:

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    theyre kinda like a snake head but theyre native( i think). pretty easy to catch and put up one hell of a fight

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah they are tough fighters...There meat is mushy so there not very good eating unless you make fish patties out of them which is what I like to do with gar meat also...Down in Louisiana we call a bowfin a cypress trout..

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have a lowhead dam here thats full of them. some get pretty big. almost a nuisance. come and catch as many as you can!

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We call 'em "mud fish" here. BTW: the world record is from SC at 21.8 pounds.

BB in SC

14. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  15. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Almost make me wish I hadnt ever gotten old enough to go to work.....then I could fish all day and night and the only worry I would have would be runnin outta bait!! LOL Sounds like you had an AWESOME day man!! Congrats!

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We also call them shoepicks...

17. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    cool pics and story. One of the best documented posts I've seen. A great mixed bag day.

18. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When I was young .my grand Dad called them Grinnel.

19. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Man that was a great story, thanks for sharing it. I love to fish in small creeks but the one behind my house doesnt have anything like that in it. I catch green sunfish and horny heads in my creek for cat bait. Maybe I can hire you as a creek fishing guide in the future.:wink: By the way the founder and mixologist of the R&W Carp Juice lives here in my home town and I've helped him mix some flavors before. Somehow it just seems cool that a local guy on main street here that started out as a ballcard shop is selling his bait concauction nationwide now.