Very Old Abu Garcia Spinning Reel?? Any idea??

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jul 25, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Picked this up tonight in East Canton. I got it at a Garage Sale. Just curious to see if anyone knows anything on it. Pretty interesting.

This reel works very well, tested it out tonight. Pretty cool, just looking for some background on it. Thanks

Thanks in advance.

2. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I know someone has to know something.

DH, you are old, help me out here, LMAO.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is an oldtimer for sure, dont know if I would fish with it, or just keep it on the mantle,,If I fised it I would take it apart to give it a good coat of grease...But then would forget how to put it back together.

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I am definatly not going to fish with it, I am just curious to see an age or possible value of it.

Picked it up at a Garage Sale of some very old Hillbilly, said it was passed down to him. So, interesting to see some history on it. Going to surf the web to see what I can find out.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

is it made in france? the french made one's are sought after by collectors I had a 309 and 308 a guy offered me 120 bucks for both but I just gave them to him, both were in need of some repair but looked good. Is there a model number on them?

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Says "Made in Sweden" on the side.

There are no model numbers on it that I could find.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sorry Tea I was thinking about mitchell reels duh I am an idiot. If I had to guess I think it would be a 3000 but its hard to tell. sorry

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Is alright man, hoping someone knows something. Sent Abu a email with pics as well. If I hear back from them I will fill yall in.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it sure does look like a perfect match

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wow, thanks brother.

So, I paid $4.00 for a Rod and Reel and I may be able to get $70.00 for the reel. LMAO That is a great day of work brother.

Thanks

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET.....:confident:

12. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO.

It was just a cool find, bought it to hang on wall if nothing else. But heck, if I can get $50 out of it I'll use the money for sure.

Still got a 6 1/2 foot Dwaia Apollo Medium action rod I can use. Looks like it has ceramic guildes and rod is in great shape. Little older I think.

Definatly think I got my $4 worth. hehehe

13. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Think I am gonna put it on ebay, unless anyone on the BOC is interested. Would be good trade bait for newer Baitcaster.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Before you sell it wait for the reply from ABU.It might be a collectors item that you give away for 50$.BENJI before you give away any Mitchells let WHISTLER know here on the BOC as he collects them for parts etc.I would put the reel on the mantle but if you can turn a big profit thats OK also.:smile2:

15. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I hope to hear back from em soon. Not wanting to make a big profit, but profit is good of any kind. Looking to get me a Gator Rod to go with my 6500 I just picked up. Money from this would help for sure. Thanks for the reply brother.

16. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
  17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Reel is over $40, whooo hoooo.

18. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hot dog, way to go Matt. It pays to go to garage sales sometimes. I have one close to it myself that was left in an old boat shed I bought at the lake
    to put my boat and old 79 Gimmy that I leave there year round.
    Bill

19. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks buddy, would love to see it hit the $50 mark but happy already. 11X my investment and I get to keep the rod. hehehe